• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI - 2023 Sequoia next gen releases on Tuesday. I'm a big fan of the new Tundra pick up, so I'm hoping the Sequoia goes up against the Suburban this time. The Tundra has an extended body so I would think they might do it this time. I would likely switch out if I turn my Suburban over in the next 3 to 7 years. My 2014 is a great truck and last of that generation. I presonally can't stand the new Suburbans. Just tragically uninspiring. If Sequoia stay short though, then I'll probably go Expedition Max on my next turn.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just dropped this evening. The TRD Pro looks cool. I think I like it. No Suburban length though.

1643167558293.png

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just dropped this evening. The TRD Pro looks cool. I think I like it. No Suburban length though.

Oy.

Too big. And that hood height is inexcusable from a pedestrian safety standpoint.

(Yes, I'm a bicycling and pedestrian advocate - does it show?)

I mean, it's probably going to be a great vehicle for its class. But the entire class makes little sense to me, so...

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Toyota Rav4 Prime is a pretty sweet ride but you can not find these anywhere, and if you did the dealership would charge a crazy market adjustment. We settled on a Rav4 XSE Hybrid. Apparently its build date was last week and it should arrive at the dealership mid Feb. Lucked out and got it for MSRP, which normally would not be a great deal, but these days is about as good as it gets if you can even find something to buy. What was crazy was the price on the used Rav 4s, almost $5K more for a 2019. Crazy what people are willing to pay right now.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Oy.

Too big. And that hood height is inexcusable from a pedestrian safety standpoint.

(Yes, I'm a bicycling and pedestrian advocate - does it show?)

I mean, it's probably going to be a great vehicle for its class. But the entire class makes little sense to me, so...
I have read a little about bumper hight and pedestrian impact zones, wish I knew more about this subject.. BTW what do you drive?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe part of the reason the bumpers are low and the grills pretty vertical IS for pedestrian safety, as much as can be had if you're hit by a vehicle. It spreads the impact instead of concentrating it right at the bumper which was causing femur fractures.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have read a little about bumper hight and pedestrian impact zones, wish I knew more about this subject.. BTW what do you drive?

The thing is being able to see. With a hood height over 4 feet above the pavement the sightlines for small children, people in mobility assistance devices, and even folks on some kinds of bicycle are extremely difficult to see over a flat, tall hood. There's no practical reason for a tall, flat grille. It doesn't do much for actual passenger safety, and in the EU such tall, vertical impediments to driver vision are not legal (though flatter, taller grilles on passenger cars started with EU regulations, this isn't of the same cloth).

I'm a fan of the European idea of crash avoidance: making it so it's less possible to have a crash. And I'm not a huge fan of have technology be the ultimate decider of what's considered an "acceptable" impact. The driver needs to be aware of the fact that they're in control of multiple tons of metal and plastic, traveling with momentum, and that being in charge of such a weapon (and it is a weapon) assumes a great level of responsibility for its use.

Just my $0.02 as a person who mostly rides a bicycle and walks for transportation in his day-to-day existence. Yes, cars are necessary for many of life's needs and desires. But super huge cars? Not necessarily - and typically not for everyday use.

I drive an Audi A4 sedan. I also live in a dense urban area, where anything larger than, say, a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue is too much in terms of size. Street parking is the norm, often in small spaces.

I'm also a fan of only getting as much car as you need, not necessarily getting everything you want. Example: my A4 is small as it's not a wagon, I have a roof box for winter use so I can carry more things as needed. When I replace the A4 (which, at 21 years young, is getting to that point) the likely replacement candidate is a Subaru Crosstrek with a manual transmission (both personal preference and a handy anti-theft device in modern cities).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The thing is being able to see. With a hood height over 4 feet above the pavement the sightlines for small children, people in mobility assistance devices, and even folks on some kinds of bicycle are extremely difficult to see over a flat, tall hood. There's no practical reason for a tall, flat grille. It doesn't do much for actual passenger safety, and in the EU such tall, vertical impediments to driver vision are not legal (though flatter, taller grilles on passenger cars started with EU regulations, this isn't of the same cloth).

I'm a fan of the European idea of crash avoidance: making it so it's less possible to have a crash. And I'm not a huge fan of have technology be the ultimate decider of what's considered an "acceptable" impact. The driver needs to be aware of the fact that they're in control of multiple tons of metal and plastic, traveling with momentum, and that being in charge of such a weapon (and it is a weapon) assumes a great level of responsibility for its use.

Just my $0.02 as a person who mostly rides a bicycle and walks for transportation in his day-to-day existence. Yes, cars are necessary for many of life's needs and desires. But super huge cars? Not necessarily - and typically not for everyday use.

I drive an Audi A4 sedan. I also live in a dense urban area, where anything larger than, say, a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue is too much in terms of size. Street parking is the norm, often in small spaces.

I'm also a fan of only getting as much car as you need, not necessarily getting everything you want. Example: my A4 is small as it's not a wagon, I have a roof box for winter use so I can carry more things as needed. When I replace the A4 (which, at 21 years young, is getting to that point) the likely replacement candidate is a Subaru Crosstrek with a manual transmission (both personal preference and a handy anti-theft device in modern cities).
Thanks for the info and I have looked at the Crosstrek and a Honda version of a similar vehicle. Both are good choices, back in 2020 I down sized my vehicle to a smaller size Jeep based on not needing the standard size SUV any more.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Reading how a RAV4 (current model) is considered small by your standards, always leaves me flabbergasted. Big, to me, it is big. As big as my old jeep Cherokee (an American colleague at the time dubbed it as "oh, yeah that jeep is often the second car in a family", he was- for the record- from upstate NY, mid-hudson valley). And so far, "thirsty" beyond help... an USN CVN has better mileage. I am still recovering from the initial choc (coming from a 1.6 litres TD Skoda, at avg 20km/ litre of diesel fuel, to a 2.5 Petrol engine and roughly one -metric- ton heavier "car" at an avg 15.6km / litre of gasolie)
Do I regret the change? Well mileage could have been better, but all considered, seeing how the new drive handles itself in bad roads conditions (and road clearance) I am quite satisfied. So, no I do not regret the change.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Current gen Sequoia owner here. I love the space. We need the space to take our family of four and dog skiing for a weekend, let alone a week.

We made do before with an MDX and roof box but were overloaded. With the kids getting bigger, we needed more room and payload capacity. We don't need the roof box with the Sequoia, which is fantastic in so many ways, like parking in a garage.

The fuel economy is the huge downside to the current-gen Sequoia. Just terrible. The new Sequoia will be MUCH better, especially since the hybrid is standard on all trims. I like the idea of the mild-hybrid drivetrain focused on improving performance as much as fuel economy. I hope Toyota's reliability and durability magic works on it.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI - 2023 Sequoia next gen releases on Tuesday. I'm a big fan of the new Tundra pick up, so I'm hoping the Sequoia goes up against the Suburban this time. The Tundra has an extended body so I would think they might do it this time. I would likely switch out if I turn my Suburban over in the next 3 to 7 years. My 2014 is a great truck and last of that generation. I presonally can't stand the new Suburbans. Just tragically uninspiring. If Sequoia stay short though, then I'll probably go Expedition Max on my next turn.
Looks like no stretch Sequoia for now. Hopefully in 2 years? Seems like that's how Toyota often does things. Makes sense from a market and engineering perspective.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like no stretch Sequoia for now. Hopefully in 2 years? Seems like that's how Toyota often does things. Makes sense from a market and engineering perspective.
that would work for me...I'm still at least 2 years out before turning my Suburban over.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The fuel economy is the huge downside to the current-gen Sequoia. Just terrible.
The Yukon XL is not bad for what it is, 19-21MPG whether it is empty or full, box on top or not. The Alltrak on the other hand, to Sun Valley and back, 30 MPG. With the box on to Colorado? 25MPG. Thats just terrible for a smaller car.

Sponsor

Staff online