• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d be concerned about QC on any new vehicle right now.

That (among myriad other reasons) is why I'm still keeping my 2000 vintage Audi in running order.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ram 2500 diesel with 8 foot bed
Why stop at 2500?
20211125_125053.jpg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love a new Bronco. Thinking about a Base model 4-door with hardtop+crossbars, 2.7t engine and 10 speed auto as only options plus a set of aftermarket wheels and tires (32"s, 3pk symbol AT's). Just under $40k. No need for lockers or 35's. I want good highway driving plus some decent offroad capability to access trailheads.

View attachment 151373
It's scary how similar that looks to the old Bronco I hit when I was 17 in my mom's car leading to the revocation of my driving privileges until I finally got a job. Boy did I get a job fast.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's scary how similar that looks to the old Bronco I hit when I was 17 in my mom's car leading to the revocation of my driving privileges until I finally got a job. Boy did I get a job fast.
Have you seen it in person? It is seriously big.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you seen it in person? It is seriously big.

Seriously too big for most folks - as are most cars and SUVs these days, to be blunt. I'm really nonplussed at having grille heights 4+ feet above the ground. Children disappear in front of these cars and there have been tragedies due to this. Not to mention they're a pain to parallel park (yes, folks still do this) or park within most parking lot lines, and are serious gas guzzlers in most cases.

Seriously: the "embiggening" of cars, trucks, and SUVs is just not great. I understand that many want to travel with an entire house's worth of stuff (and some need to due to work obligations) but it's all too much.

Sincerely,

A person who still drives a 4-door sedan and has plenty of room thanks to a rooftop box

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seriously: the "embiggening" of cars, trucks, and SUVs is just not great. I understand that many want to travel with an entire house's worth of stuff (and some need to due to work obligations) but it's all too much.

Combine that with the current prevalence of low-torque turbo 4-bangers and you've hit the nail on the head.

Even on the highway, there just isn't torque enough to stay safe amid the 45-50mph potato drivers and the lane surfing last-minute exit divers. If I'm going to go back to late-90s torque numbers, the last thing I want is a big lumbering box around me.

I simply don't want these vehicles much. At all.

Rust may force me to buy but it won't make me want.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Combine that with the current prevalence of low-torque turbo 4-bangers and you've hit the nail on the head.

That's where the beauty of my old-school A4 lies: it has a 1.8L four banger with a turbo but it's decidedly not a land yacht. Thus it's quite spry on the highway.

The same engine in something the size of a Q5 or Q7? Definitely not a fun proposition.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Saw this on the Canadian Autotrader site this morning. I know repairs and maintenance would be nuts...but still. 60k mile imported OG RS6 for new Outback money [and new Bentley repair bills, probably]? I hope somebody buys this quick so I don't have to.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier

Even on the highway, there just isn't torque enough to stay safe amid the 45-50mph potato drivers and the lane surfing last-minute exit divers. If I'm going to go back to late-90s torque numbers, the last thing I want is a big lumbering box around me.

I simply don't want these vehicles much. At all.

Rust may force me to buy but it won't make me want.

I thought the one redeeming thing about turbo 4-bangers (and all newer turbos) was that they actually had heaps of low- and mid-range torque relative to their displacement, no?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You putting bike(s) on top or inside?

On top: I have a Thule rack and multiple bike mounts for it. In the winter I run two outboard while the box is on, in the summer I can run as many as five (though I stayed with two in 2020 and 2021).

Sponsor