• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowy today made for tricky confitions for some of the athlrtes.
Yeah... it was rough with the snow coming down. I was dissapointed to see Kristofferson and Ford both with big bobbles in the second run.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I forgot to make guesses for today’s GS but my way off, poor picks for the parallel would’ve been okay today with Zubcic & Kranjec in the top 2 spots.
Good to see Ford back in the mix so soon. I was hoping for more from Braathen.
Great skiing from Odermatt, Read, McGrath & both Zampa’s.

Looked like it was dumping snow the whole time which always makes for tough, choppy conditions & an athletic battle to make it down the mountain.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
1170AC1A-6A53-4EA7-88A9-6EA134D3E2FB.jpeg

Odermatt
Pintrault
Kranjek
Ford
Zubcic

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going with...

Meillard
Kristoffersen
Zubcic
Pinturault
Faivre

As always, these picks are POOMA.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought Kranjec was the most exciting to watch, taking both runs into account.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FIS posted that the Sunday GS has been postponed to Monday due to excess snowfall.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
FIS posted that the Sunday GS has been postponed to Monday due to excess snowfall.
I saw you had posted this morning & since the post was pre-race time I thought it may be something like that. I didn't look for fear of seeing results before I had a chance to see the race. Figured it out when I got home just now & was getting ready to watch on Peacock & it has the race listed for tomorrow morning.

Is this a first for WC racing? In the past because of media etc. races would just get cancelled & maybe made up later at a different venue. Maybe because of Covid & not having thousands of spectators there they figure it can be done on a Monday. Too bad they weren't able to do the same with the Women's SG after some avalanche mitigation.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this a first for WC racing? In the past because of media etc. races would just get cancelled & maybe made up later at a different venue. Maybe because of Covid & not having thousands of spectators there they figure it can be done on a Monday. Too bad they weren't able to do the same with the Women's SG after some avalanche mitigation.

FWIW I can’t remember a race being pushed back like this instead of rescheduled to a different venue on a later date, although my memory only goes back for the last few years. I think there have been other posts in past years describing why it is not easy to do push back a race one or two days and it seems like the reason might be Covid and lack of spectators plus lack of skiers from the general public. Not sure they are open for the general public and also not sure what is different with St. Moritz, but happy to be able to see the race on Monday. Would be interesting if anyone knows better.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Things are certainly easier these days, then with normal season. There's plenty of reasons for this, and I'm sure there's few more which I won't mention. First, there's no spectators on site. Moving race for day with 100.000 people there (ok that's just Kitzbuehel, as other races it's more like 5000 to 20.000) is not easy. Next thing is, hotels are normally operating, which today they are not. This means, they have space for WC tour from let's say Thursday till Sunday, and on Sunday afternoon new guests are coming. Moving race to Monday simply won't work, as there's no space for everyone to stay there till Sunday. Same goes for ski resort. Ski resorts are losing money, when half of resort is closed, so extending this closure for another day is not really much of an option. Today, hotels are closed, ski resorts are closed, and there's noone skiing there and noone coming to those hotels, so it's fairly easy to extend for another day.
Contrary to Italy, in Switzerland it's season as always, and everything is open, and I guess that's the difference between moving race to Monday or going home hoping to find replacement date and place somewhere later.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of amazing how far back everyone was from Odermatt... and then how tightly grouped they were.

Ford in second was 0.73s back, and the next 5 spots were all less that 1.0s behind.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Impressed with Erik Read this season. Starting to show that he can be a consistent top 10 kinda guy, and he is young enough to keep improving.
Me too & Atle McGrath is also looking consistent. I believe he is the son of former US ski teamer Felix & of course Erik is the son of Ken Read.
Good to see better conditions.
Great day for Ford even with a pretty good mistake in run #1, he really let them run.
Odermatt was definitely the class today...

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Thread drift: No one in the top thirty on Fischer. Hmmm.
2 Fischer’s made it into run #2, Yule & I’m pretty sure Baruffaldi was on Fischer.
D7988332-7260-4C4D-B885-564020089B42.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few other things of note:

A Dutchman gets a top 30 in a World Cup - that's not happened in quite a while.

Radamus just missed the flip.

The "Attacking Vikings" are deep right now: 7, 11, 12, 13, 15 - five in the top 30. Swiss got 4 in the top 30, even getting the "bookends" of 1st and 30th.

And yes, Atle McGrath is the son of Felix McGrath, born and raised in Norway and starting to crush it. Wouldn't be surprised to see his achievements on skis eclipse those of his dad. Second fastest on the second run - nice!

The Austrian men's GS squad is hurting right now. 17th, 21st, and 22nd - not what the fans are expecting.

Sponsor

Staff online