• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mexican food...

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys like it? Seem like everyone does, and every state has their own spin on it. Post up your favorit dishes...

My favorite Tex-Mex dish is beef enchiladas... Great with brisket... Here is how I rolled this past Saturday....

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

Cut it into 2 pieces...
IMG_8907.JPG

Into a preasure cooker with water...
IMG_8908.JPG

Use your favorite Chile mix or your won spices, I just bought 2 of these kits. Each for 2 lbs of meat, so I use 1 and .75 of the other kit...

IMG_8909.JPG

Make sure pressure cooker has plenty of water, you can always boil it off later if too much. If you do it right, you can cook this like 45 minutes, I took longer because I was always checking it was worried about burning it... I cook it for while first with none of the spice, it gets some foam, I soup that out, after it cooks for a while, then I add all the spice less the flower/masa.

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG

Testing here to see how done it is, not ready, I want it tender!!!
IMG_8949.JPG

Oh yeah, this is what I want!!
IMG_8977.JPG

Get those tortilats goiing, need to get them in hot oil to soften them up, otherwise they will break when you try and roll them up. You can put them in foil to keep them warm and good till read to use...
IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8979.JPG

IMG_8982.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8991.JPG

IMG_8998.JPG

IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9013.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

IMG_9015.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9017.JPG

IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9026.JPG

Side of refined bean...
IMG_9029.JPG

My son said it was great, he is the enchilada connoisseur..

IMG_9030.JPG

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I will say, it's TOUGH getting good Mexican food up here. I miss that from being down in South Colorado/Arizona/Florida. We have a lot of authentic cuisine up here in immigrant communities, but Mexican is hard to find.

Anyone got a good bowl of red recipe?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not many options here in the UK. I’m lucky if I can get mediocre Mexican food to hold me over. It’s one thing I miss from doing site visits in London for work. I haven’t had any Mexican food for a few months due to lockdown.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Easy enough to make your own fajitas etc even in yookay. But I can't recall ever having had great Mexican food anywhere even hip places like Wahaca. Best concentrating on varieties of curry where we have a massive advantage over the US.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never realized you had Five Guys over there. (Found the one next to Wahaca Islington by accident. Looks like a nice spot they have!)

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Easy enough to make your own fajitas etc even in yookay. But I can't recall ever having had great Mexican food anywhere even hip places like Wahaca. Best concentrating on varieties of curry where we have a massive advantage over the US.

I found a place by Covent Garden that is decent enough for me, and the prices aren’t too bad for central London. There’s also a Chipotle near one of the sites I cover (off Oxford St.), but I’ve never really been a fan of Chipotle. I prefer Taco Bueno for my fast food Mexican when I’m in the parts of the US that have Bueno.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never realized you had Five Guys over there. (Found the one next to Wahaca Islington by accident. Looks like a nice spot they have!)

Five Guys was expanding pretty rapidly before the pandemic. There are quite a few locations in the UK, and I walked by a couple of locations that were about to open up in Rome when I was there in October 2019.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone got a good bowl of red recipe?
Here is how I like to look at it. I actually have a big spread sheet, with a ton of chili recipies in it, and I put it all on a % basis. But get yourself a container, mark it off in sections (10ths or 20ths). Option 1 below, this is basically what Wick Fowlers, Texas Style chili kits uses. Option 2, small change I like to make is less Chili powder and more cumin. So this is how it works, say option 1, fill the container up 65% with chili powder, next 10% Cumin, etc....This is your chili mix. Take your cooked meat, add your chili mix to taste. Add water or maybe it is already in with the meat like I did above. Add flour (or masa) to thicken it up. And really this is it. Play around with different %, fine what you like. Instead of minced oinion or garlic powder, maybe use real onions and garlic. Also you say "red" in your post, some people add tomato sauce, or tomato paste, this makes it red. I think Texas style is to leave out tomatoes, I do. I have done it many times both way, my son likes it left out, my daughter likes it added, but she also really likes spaghetti sauce.. :roflmao:

chili.JPG

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pics below my lovely and talented wife, salsa is her specialty... she has can tomatoes in there, half onion, several garlic cloves, fresh cilantro, taco seasoning, cumin, and there is 3 fresh jalapenos in there...

2021-02-13 tina salsa 1.JPG

2021-02-13 tina salsa 2.JPG

IMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9118.JPG

I posted this pic before, but my daughter made these tacos for me, she is very creative with her cooking, they were delish. She has speical way with the tortillas and her specialty sauce I do not know how she makes, if you are interested I will get her recipe for you, but it is so good!

IMG_8026 (2).JPG

I did this the chili the other night.. My spice mix...
2021-02-16 chili mix.JPG

IMG_9407.JPG

2 lbs of meat, used this stuff my wife bought..
IMG_9400.JPG

All ingredients above, with water...

IMG_9410.JPG

I added 3 spoons of flour to thicken it up...so like 20 ml each, 60 ml total. Gradually do this and mix in water first to no drop in flower lumps...

IMG_9412.JPG

IMG_9417.JPG

Once you got this made, you can do anything with it...May creative daughter did this...

IMG_9420.JPG

I did some nachos...You got to be careful your taste buds will OD with flavor!!

IMG_9425.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_9447.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9400.JPG
    IMG_9400.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9425[1].JPG
    IMG_9425[1].JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 10
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's no such thing as bad Mexican food.
Kinda hard to mess up, but it can be done. As soon as I want to just "go by feel" and not look at my notes, it turns out not so go. And I get an earful from my son, who is extremely meticulous with his cooking.

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Few dishes lately... Love green chili sauce. You can put on anything. I have tried all kinds of ways of making it. This is my favorite recipe so far, I may have a better one for you in the future:

* 5 jalapenos, big ones...Slice, and wash out like half the seeds, depending on how hot you want it.
* 1 full clove of garlic..
* Probably 1/4 bushel of fresh cilantro.. No stems..
* Lime juice (half)
* 60ml olive oil
* 60ml water
* 1 tea spoon of 1) Chicken bullion, 2) Cumin, 3) pepper.

Blend in a blender...

IMG_9788.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9805.JPG

IMG_9807.JPG

Delicious!!
IMG_9808.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online