• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mexican food...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure how I missed this thread before! Just made a batch of Pico de Gallo to use tonight in the Guacamole and marinated shrimp for appetizers. Main course will be pork ribs in Ancho orange sauce with Mexican rice and zucchini salad.

My wife learned her Margarita recipe back in college from a bartender friend and it is very similar to yours except the sweetener is just about half a part of orange juice. Despite it's superior flavor, one problem with Cointreau compared to Triple Sec is the much higher proof, but that just sends you to Margaritaville a little faster!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Belated Cinco de Mayo cook... Backyard carnitas

PXL_20220507_161603920.jpg
PXL_20220507_164552392.jpg
PXL_20220509_012634478.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I might have already posted this, but is my son's simple margarita rocks recipe, and trust me, it will be the best margarita on the rocks you ever had. For parts you can use a shot glass, or any bigger glass, so very easy to scale..

View attachment 168548
We go 3-2-1
  • Tequila-3 parts
  • Orange Liquor-2 parts
  • Lime-1 part

Reactions: Tex

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not to sidetrack..did you know there's a drink called a Flaming Dr. Pepper?!?! :geek: How could I have not known about this?!?!

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We go 3-2-1
  • Tequila-3 parts
  • Orange Liquor-2 parts
  • Lime-1 part
What about sugar, sweetner? Most margarita mixes ("sweet & sour") combines lime/sweetener, this stuff is terrible btw.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What about sugar, sweetner? Most margarita mixes ("sweet & sour") combines lime/sweetener, this stuff is terrible btw.
No mixers. Tequila, Contreau and Lime juice. Oh, and salt.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FWIW, I believe Mexican limes are more akin to Key limes and sweeter than our hard green grocery store limes. A splash of orange juice helps to recreate that citrus flavor and not a mixer.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Tex. That's some serious cooking. I'll try it sometime when my neighbors are back to help eat it.
I knew he had some videos, but I didn't know had an actual recipe in one. I didn't even see the recipe untill I posted it on here. He must have read the give-me-the-recipe-bitch thread. :roflmao:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
One of my good customers planted what she thought were jalapeños but turned out to be habaneros which are way too hot for her taste so she gave them to me. I plan on making a batch of turkey chili where I'll use a few but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of them so I'm looking for suggestions.
IMG_2629.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my good customers planted what she thought were jalapeños but turned out to be habaneros which are way too hot for her taste so she gave them to me. I plan on making a batch of turkey chili where I'll use a few but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of them so I'm looking for suggestions.
View attachment 180613
Fermented chili pepper hot sauce. I just made a batch with some hot peppers I grew in my garden this season. Sugar Rush Peach peppers ( a little hotter than Jalapeno) , Orange Spice Jalapeno, and some habaneros, and shishitos. I put in some sweet bell peppers for balance. Super easy. Here's the recipe:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 180613
A few years back I had a red habenero chili pepper plant. The plant was beautiful and those suckers were hot! I used them to make a special salsa I found in one of Diane Kennedy's Mexican cookbooks. Since I could not use them all that quickly, I froze them and would pull a few out when needed. They lasted me a few years until my freezer failed and I lost the rest. Since these are green I'm not sure it would work as well.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since these are green I'm not sure it would work as well.
They might turn red/orange. if @Ogg wants that he should get then out of the plastic bag and put them in a paper bag or a cardboard box that has a lid, and put in the bag/box some ripe peppers with them. They should ripen within a week or so.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made some tacos tonight on cast iron. Final dish, the red and green sauce my son made, the guacamole my wife bought, not as good as mine. Over all dish was awesome!! That red sauce is hot hot hot!!

A505EFE3-60A9-4A11-8089-8473E0C35FAC.jpeg

Pics below is are steps how I cooked it..pulled chicken my son already made, just warming it up here, 4 clumps of chicken, for 4 tacos…
B680CC3A-D233-4638-B6BC-C81F6740070A.jpeg

Oil on each side of that tortilla, then chicken, then a little green sauce
6221EB36-3286-4305-99E7-E1D1979EFBA1.jpeg

Add cheese!
66A4E10A-2E4B-4DA0-98B8-EF4F93B08485.jpeg

Flip!
9A6FE1EF-919C-47B2-85EB-B6B2999A3CC4.jpeg

flip again!
ACB83693-8D08-4675-A830-94AB17926E6A.jpeg

One last flip!!
95F999AE-C3DB-44DD-9DBE-DB7D97427C3F.jpeg

Sponsor