• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mexican food...

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crappie Enchiladas with green chilie sauce!

3 Crappie fillets...

IMG_9809.JPG

Season....

IMG_9812.JPG

On hot cast iron with butter!
IMG_9816.JPG

Blackened crappie, it is so tender it just falls apart..
IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9820.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG

IMG_9834.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In Reno the quality of the Mexican food is directly inverse to the price.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Green chili sauce is not really a "Tex-Mex" dish, you will rarely see it on a menu. I fell in love with green chili sauce in Colorado. I will tell you though, you drive through any small town in Texas, and there will be at least one tex-mex place, maybe 2, and they are guaranteed to be good. Any time I'm traveling through Texas, its what I look for.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
* 5 jalapenos, big ones...Slice, and wash out like half the seeds, depending on how hot you want it.
* Probably 1/4 bushel of fresh cilantro.. No stems..

Remove stems and seeds ... :roflmao:

That's really 1/4 BUSHEL of cilantro? I know the stuff compresses, but Dang!

Reactions: Tex

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've noticed a thing here where the old Italian bakeries seem to be taken over by Colombians. Which means we KINDA get Mexican proxy food which ain't bad. But still not real Mexican. Shame really..

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's really 1/4 BUSHEL of cilantro? I know the stuff compresses, but Dang!
Its not that much. You take 1 stem, it has like 4 leaves on it. See below. That is one bushel. I took all the stems off, and put half away in zip lock bag. In the recipe above I actually used half a bushel, and I thought that was too much, reason why I posted 1/4. I'm still trying to prefect my recipe, my son loved it, but I'm still looking for that certain flavor I have not found yet.

IMG_9793.JPG

Her it is chopped up...

IMG_9794.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy Cinco de Mayo! My son made dinner last night, he made all of it, all from scratch, he is one hell of a cook a tell ya...

He made these enchiladas for just me and him, wife and daughter had tacos...

IMG_9867.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

For the meat, he cooked a chuck roast in the crock pot all day, Mexican BBQ style he called it...Then shredded it.

IMG_9864.JPG

Mexican Bean soup...delish....
IMG_9866.JPG

Mexican rice, again all from scratch, so good.

IMG_9865.JPG

My dish!!
IMG_9868.JPG

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, love the camouflaged mixmaster on the shelf in the back :roflmao: We've got the same mixer in the same color.
My son bought that with his own hard earned money. He also bought the crock pot he cooked that roast in as well. I have not used any of those appliances. The boy loves to cook I tell ya, he cooked this the nigh before..

IMG_9857.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

He is so meticulous with the garnish and all...
IMG_9861.JPG

He got mad at me for taking the pic below because it was not cooked perfectly (over cooked slightly). As I'm taking the pic "no no no!" he says, gezz calm down..lol

IMG_9862.JPG

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love New Mexican food. I went to most of high school and college there and miss good red chile the most. I was down in Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago (sadly, for a friend's mother's funeral) and ate as much New Mexican food as I could.

Home fries smothered with Christmas chile and cheese topped with eggs.
1633051703155.png

Chicken adovado enchiladas with Christmas chile.
1633051941703.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I love New Mexican food. I went to most of high school and college there and miss good red chile the most. I was down in Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago (sadly, for a friend's mother's funeral) and ate as much New Mexican food as I could.

Home fries smothered with Christmas chile and cheese topped with eggs.

Chicken adovado enchiladas with Christmas chile.
Isn’t it chile roasting season?
I remember seeing them in parking lots in Santa Fe many years ago, didn’t know a thing about it. Some people I was staying later with grilled some up, peeled and spread like butter on toast. Delicious.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn’t it chile roasting season?
I remember seeing them in parking lots in Santa Fe many years ago, didn’t know a thing about it. Some people I was staying later with grilled some up, peeled and spread like butter on toast. Delicious.

It is! I can get fresh roasted green chile here at the local farmers market but the red chile is more elusive.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son has been buying these…I don’t know if he buys them online or what. Next time he makes a chili dish I’ll post his recipe.

E4CAD7A1-3847-441E-9AF2-7EFABAD82725.jpeg
926185B1-AD63-41F5-A6ED-CE0359690139.jpeg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son has been buying these…I don’t know if he buys them online or what. Next time he makes a chili dish I’ll post his recipe.

View attachment 143658 View attachment 143659
Guajillo are my favorite Mexican pepper. Lots of flavor, a little touch of heat. Would love to find it already ground. I spend way too much time grinding for a BBQ day.

Sponsor