• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Can you go 0.1 mph and carve (or whatever you want to call it) with an edge angle of 50 degrees? That's what it takes at least (maybe even 70 degrees) for a pivot less transition on a steep slope at the top of the turn. Though, I really did rest my case with the steep stuff, and we moved on to moguls.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Mike, Benni Walch does a great job of steering the skis before setting the edges, a true mark of excellent skiing. He does it to varying degrees throughout the following video, but it's implemented perfectly and undeniably at 0:35. It's unfortunate that a number of people view this as a "sin", because it's really crucial technique off the groomed slopes, and it's better to understand it and perfect it than try to deny it and eliminate it. Once you understand this movement then you can look back and see it to varying degrees in most of the videos that you've posted.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mike, Benni Walch does a great job of steering the skis before setting the edges, a true mark of excellent skiing. He does it to varying degrees throughout the following video, but it's implemented perfectly and undeniably at 0:35. It's unfortunate that a number of people view this as a "sin", because it's really crucial technique off the groomed slopes, and it's better to understand it and perfect it than try to deny it and eliminate it. Once you understand this movement then you can look back and see it to varying degrees in most of the videos that you've posted.

Much as I like watching Reilly, Benni and Pauly's skiing, I don't really get why you guys are posting their videos back and forth like you're proving something.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Much as I like watching Reilly, Benni and Pauly's skiing, I don't really get why you guys are posting their videos back and forth like you're proving something.

Damn it Jim, I'm a skier, not a psychologist! :roflmao:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Well back and forth is a bit of an exaggeration, since this is the first video I've posted, though there have been lots of videos posted that haven't proven a thing until now. This last video I posted proves beyond a reasonable doubt that there is steering in that turn. It follows from a body in motion......

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Damn it Jim, I'm a skier, not a psychologist! :roflmao:
I'm not a psychologist. I'm just taking a stroll through the psych ward.:roflmao:

I'm just reflecting you back to yourself, but seriously don't laugh at your own jokes. Or better yet, we could all just keep it about skiing technique without the snide comments. Keep it about skiing technique.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm not a psychologist. I'm just taking a stroll through the psych ward.:roflmao:

I'm just reflecting you back to yourself, but seriously don't laugh at your own jokes. Or better yet, we could all just keep it about skiing technique without the snide comments. Keep it about skiing technique.

"Humor is in the eye of the beholder" said one crow to another above the crowd on the street below. One should laugh because instruction threads are funny and often ridiculous. Can we talk about politics and religion now? Or helmets?

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
"Humor is in the eye of the beholder" said one crow to another above the crowd on the street below. One should laugh because instruction threads are funny and often ridiculous. Can we talk about politics and religion now? Or helmets?

...but you keep reading them and posting. I guess for the laughs.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
...but you keep reading them and posting. I guess for the laughs.

Pretty much.... and the videos. As Jim says, It's always nice to see interesting quality footage, and to listen to how folks think about skiing.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

no doubt. I'd argue that it can also be important in dynamic short turns on groomed terrain as well -- it aids in the collision of the upper body and the skis to allow the redirection of the CoM across the hill. This is what provides deflection in a short turn.

I've also been thinking about why PSIA believes that you should be clean through edge change. My rationale is that it is related to flow -- if you are pivoting at the edge change, you are braking then. Ideally, we'd like to see the shape of the line causing the speed control. So if you use the shape, then you can be clean through edge change. This results in flow -- you are taking what you have from the bottom of the turn into the top of the next turn..;

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Pretty much.... and the videos. As Jim says, It's always nice to see interesting quality footage, and to listen to how folks think about skiing.
...until someone thinks something that other people disagree with. The arguments ensue. Then you have to get in there don't you. Maybe just a snide attack, if you're less inclined to argue technique these days. Damn, I should be a psychologist. That's pretty good. :roflmao:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Just curious, but since we don't know each other, and to better understand where you're coming from, could you share your teaching and ski background? Happy to share mine if your interested. PM probably works better so as not to bore others or detract from tball's request for more video.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
no doubt. I'd argue that it can also be important in dynamic short turns on groomed terrain as well -- it aids in the collision of the upper body and the skis to allow the redirection of the CoM across the hill. This is what provides deflection in a short turn.

I've also been thinking about why PSIA believes that you should be clean through edge change. My rationale is that it is related to flow -- if you are pivoting at the edge change, you are braking then. Ideally, we'd like to see the shape of the line causing the speed control. So if you use the shape, then you can be clean through edge change. This results in flow -- you are taking what you have from the bottom of the turn into the top of the next turn..;

There are situations where a pivotless transition is absolutely the best and represents the highest level of skiing. This is why PSIA rightfully advances it as a standard of excellence, and I agree with it. I'm just trying to make a case that it's not for every turn on the entire mountain, and specifically not for many of the turns in Tball's videos, because of the bumps and steeps.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier

Mike, if this now where you are coming from then maybe you have changed your opinion on the value of this drill.
IMO, you can't be more clean or flowing than in the proper execution of this exercise.
I know, I'm like and old dog with a bone.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Mike, if this now where you are coming from then maybe you have changed your opinion on the value of this drill.
IMO, you can't be more clean or flowing than in the proper execution of this exercise.
I know, I'm like and old dog with a bone.

Ok, going back and listening to what Mikeala says, I think there is value in this drill. But while I do think that an inside leg extension can sometimes be a reasonable way to change edges, I'm still in the camp that it is usually better to use a cross-under transition.

As far as flow, the videos of Sebastian Michel I posted above I think do a great job of showing flow without an inside leg extension. Check this out:

But what do you believe the point is of this drill?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Seems to me that this valuable thread started out great but has been ruined. Perhaps the mods should just go through it and delete all the posts that aren't personal videos, polite well intentioned MA, or good natured stoke.
I 2nd the motion!
Or move the non personal vids & posts to another thread, this thread has been mutilated & needs some intricate surgery :nono: .
I would much rather see that than to have the thread closed:huh:

in the meantime I will attempt to “redirect” with a couple more personal videos
Steeps

Bumps

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ok here's a somewhat recent video of my working on short turns. What was pointed out to me this morning by Sam Robertson is that I'm losing the flexion in the hip in the finish of the turn. The subject of the discussion was on the "athletic" stance. We had quite a discussion of what an athletic stance was. One of the elements is flexion in the hip (e.g. an anterior tilt to the pelvis). Why is this important? It provides access to leg rotation and tipping.

What's clear in this video, imo, is that while I develop this hip flexion in the initiation of the turn, I lose it in the finish. I suspect the reason is that I'm trying to get "backside heavy" to move to the tail of the ski to increase grip and set the edge. What I need instead is to move aft by flexing the knee as opposed to extending in the hip in the finish? In any case, finding a way to maintain the hip flexion is going to be my next focus, perhaps if I can get back on snow tomorrow...

Sponsor

Staff online