• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like you should lead Marcus Caston around Snowbasin.
LOL, I'm not sure Marcus would go slow enough to stay behind me but I'd be happy for that assignment!
BTW this is Powder Mountain, Snowbasins parking lots are never that empty ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Here's a video of my stupid human skiing trick of no poles in pretty big bumps at A-basin Friday. I even inadvertently skied my first lap with unbuckled boots. Homage to or haunted by @KingGrump? ogsmile

I wanted to video the awesome conditions and didn't bring my helmet cam. So camera in hand sans poles it was.

I managed to ski Ramrod top to bottom on my first lap. First time ever without poles. So, I thought it would be a good challenge to see how many laps I could manage. I quit after four laps and exhausted legs.

Here's the play by play for each lap so you can skip ahead:

0:00 - First run. Oops, my boots are unbuckled!​
1:55 - The second run was much smoother and a bit faster with my boots buckled.​
3:39 - I unsuccessfully try to keep up with a pretty good bump skier. We both got yelled at by snowboarders unaware of mogul skiing etiquette.​
5:14 - My fourth and final lap. Maybe a bit smoother. My tired legs said no more.​

@tball - you need an Insta360 GO 2 camera for your bump run videos. Check out the stabilization on this clip I just shot in Taos last week.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Nice round turns there, just the way I like them, 4ster. What's the red flag area at the bottom of that run?

4ster

Instructor
Nice round turns there, just the way I like them, 4ster. What's the red flag area at the bottom of that run?
Thanks Kneale! It took me awhile to learn to drift/brush/steer those skis & do something besides a pure edge-locked carve. That run is steeper than the video lets on.
I think the banners at the bottom of the run are just marking the intersection & entrance to the hill from the car park.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Out of shape, 4 years since I was last able to ski, and trying to do short turns on a 16m ski (Stockli Laser AX), but excuses aside, if anyone can give me some clear short pointers on what I should focus on, particularly to get a rounder finished turn? (first ones look better to me, last ones I was just trying to stop next to my wife). Thanks!

4ster

Instructor
if anyone can give me some clear short pointers on what I should focus on,
Just a quickie here…
Learn to “move” diagonally into the direction of the new turn instead of up & around. Deeper flex in your legs and more pronounced separation between your upper and lower body will help you to achieve this.
you seem to have a centered, balanced stance but a straight on video does not always tell the whole story.
You will get more mileage and in-depth tips if you post this as a stand alone in the ski school forum.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
@Noodler - nice skiing - and agree on the 360 cameras. Once you have it, it is so refreshing not to have to worry about pointing your camera toward your subject - and of course - the built in software stabilization.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
@tball good being able to hear your ski edges each turn on that video than with a dubbed music background. Supposedly the newer GoPro's like my GoPro 8 have noticeably better image stabilization so you might explore that. Will be interested in seeing one of your future bump videos without the flat light in sunny skies at your back for a good shadow in front.

At least for skiing through bump fields, not leaning towards that 360d camera mode being ideal via the standard WIDE mode on new GoPro's. Used the Super View a month ago for the first time and just did not like how much even that less wide than 360d distorted the run, flattening out vertical despite providing more a view for upcoming slope areas. In any case need to play with all of this more if we every get more storms this droughty winter.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@tball good being able to hear your ski edges each turn on that video than with a dubbed music background. Supposedly the newer GoPro's like my GoPro 8 have noticeably better image stabilization so you might explore that. Will be interested in seeing one of your future bump videos without the flat light in sunny skies at your back for a good shadow in front.

At least for skiing through bump fields, not leaning towards that 360d camera mode being ideal via the standard WIDE mode on new GoPro's. Used the Super View a month ago for the first time and just did not like how much even that less wide than 360d distorted the run, flattening out vertical despite providing more a view for upcoming slope areas. In any case need to play with all of this more if we every get more storms this droughty winter.

The Insta360 Studio software allows you to choose the FoV in post-processing when you export the video. So you can balance between the "distortion" of the proportions versus the size of the view. The raw footage is "circular/spherical" when viewed through a standard video player before processing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last few lazy turns of the day, bottom of Exhibition at Sun Valley.

The best way to close out a day at SV.

That was a fun trip!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Out of shape, 4 years since I was last able to ski, and trying to do short turns on a 16m ski (Stöckli Laser AX), but excuses aside, if anyone can give me some clear short pointers on what I should focus on, particularly to get a rounder finished turn? (first ones look better to me, last ones I was just trying to stop next to my wife). Thanks!

View attachment 158030
A little patience with the movements will let you round out the turns. Keep steering past where you're spraying snow in these turns so the skis point a bit more across the hill. You've already got what you need going.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Out of shape, 4 years since I was last able to ski, and trying to do short turns on a 16m ski (Stöckli Laser AX), but excuses aside, if anyone can give me some clear short pointers on what I should focus on, particularly to get a rounder finished turn? (first ones look better to me, last ones I was just trying to stop next to my wife). Thanks!

View attachment 158030
I suggest start with side slips, move from there to pivot slips. But definitely get feedback, they're easy to do in a less than effective way. Main point being to free up femur rotation in the hip sockets. (And helps with other stuff, too.)

Hey, that's just one guy's opinion. There are multiple pathways for approaching the same issue.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the Valley this year? I was thinking of making a short trip at the end of Feb to catch 3 days...

Sadly, that is from two years ago.

A major move and you-know-what got in the way of our usual two trips to SV the last two seasons, but we'll be back with bells on next year!

Sponsor

Staff online