• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They sound awesome. But the longest length is 163 or 164 and at 5’10” (178cm) and 168lb (77kg))

Ah, that changes the things a bit. With that stats and knowing you are a cyclist-i.e. no shortage of firepower in the quads expected, you'd be better off on SC. Proper carving ski, no girly a$$ superlightweight wood cores and suchlike.
Heck, I am sure you will be fine on the 172 WRT ST as well if you feel confident about your skiing and love to move sprightly down the mountain but SC would be a great choice too.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, that changes the things a bit. With that stats and knowing you are a cyclist-i.e. no shortage of firepower in the quads expected, you'd be better off on SC. Proper carving ski, no girly a$$ superlightweight wood cores and suchlike.
Heck, I am sure you will be fine on the 172 WRT ST as well if you feel confident about your skiing and love to move sprightly down the mountain but SC would be a great choice too.
Well, the quads ain't as strong as they used to be! I do want the ski to be fairly forgiving so I don't have to be "on" all the time. The attractive aspect of the CX is its narrow 69mm waist.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The attractive aspect of the CX is its narrow 69mm waist.

Don't know anything about these, never had any interest in them but al the people that I know who own and ski them have nothing but good things to say so your call really...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They sound awesome. But the longest length is 163 or 164 and at 5’10” (178cm) and 168lb (77kg)) would that be too short? Or would I just have a short radius turn ski which would be fun?
I thought you were all tele all the time now.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
to do 100% tele you have to be young & probably an elite level athlete. its just that much harder.

beeing to do alpine a few days makes you last longer

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sc is more variety, the CX is shorter turn bias.

I think the SC is our most versatile non-free ride ski. With the right binding and aggressive tune it is a fun tech ski. It will load for rebound if you press on it, but doesn't make you load it if you don't want to. I've never had a problem with it at speed. I just press on it harder than a more robust flex (I.E. WRT) and it takes the abuse happily.

If I am working on technique I reach for the SC. If I'm working on fast variety shorter turns without being stuck in slalom land, I reach for he CX.

My wife and sister-in-law love the SC the most. The CX is my brother's favorite ski.
You ever spend any time on the SX? Really seems like the one ski in the Stockli frontside line up that covers the most overlap between being able to be aggressive/responsive and to just joyride. I don't see many people talk about it and my theory is its because reviewers make it sound too similar to models like the WRT or GS, when it actually sounds more like it sits nicely between a GS and a Montero AX.

I have the WRT and the GS in my quiver, and personally I think there's too much similarity there to warrant owning both, though I'm still a bit undecided. I've been considering adding the Montero AX this year but the more I think about it the more I think it would be wiser in dumping the GS (since both the WRT and GS require very attentive skiing) because I'd give myself more leeway by adding the SX and possibly another mid 80mm width like either the Montero AR or Stormrider 88.

Anybody got any thoughts? No Tony, I'm not buying the WRT Pro. I don't need that much ski lol.

Oh yeah, I'm east coast 99% of the time...

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
to do 100% tele you have to be young & probably an elite level athlete. its just that much harder.

beeing to do alpine a few days makes you last longer
Not sure if I'm flattered or insultedogwink
Tried going back to fixed heel 10 years ago, and was quickly exhausted and beat up, had to go back to free heel to relax. I was probably too old to change, even back then. And that elite level athlete thing? Yeah ......... that's the ticket!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure if I'm flattered or insultedogwink
Tried going back to fixed heel 10 years ago, and was quickly exhausted and beat up, had to go back to free heel to relax. I was probably too old to change, even back then. And that elite level athlete thing? Yeah ......... that's the ticket!
I did tele for 15-20 years before giving up.

I could ski tele every day for maybe 5-7 days on a ski trip, on alpine I could ski every day all in comparison, for weeks on weeks.

waiting on people while having new NTN gear... so much heel lift it was way worse standing still on ski, than actually skiiing.

so yeah, props to anyone telemaring, its like a stupid crossfit workout, mixed into the fun stuff you like.

telemark. on pow days though... that feeling, just can't be beat.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the WRT and the GS in my quiver, and personally I think there's too much similarity there to warrant owning both, though I'm still a bit undecided. I've been considering adding the Montero AX this year but the more I think about it the more I think it would be wiser in dumping the GS (since both the WRT and GS require very attentive skiing) because I'd give myself more leeway by adding the SX and possibly another mid 80mm width like either the Montero AR or Stormrider 88.

Anybody got any thoughts? No Tony, I'm not buying the WRT Pro. I don't need that much ski lol.

I actually fully agree with what you said. Owning both GS and WRT in 180 makes sense only in case you want to switch between them and ski one while the other is in the shop for waxing/tuning.
Other than that they are really too similar with the WRT being the better ski IMHO. I gave my GS 180 to a friend and if I buy another GS ski that would probably be the 188 GS FIS. Now that would be a huge difference I expect. Quite frankly though I am still undecided between the Stockli GS FIS and the Hero Athlete FIS GS. And I also hear the Atomic GS FIS are no slouches.
I would buy normal Laser GS ONLY in case I decide to sell my Hero Masters but so far I see no reason for this.

Also, buying WRT Pro while having the 180 normal WRT makes very little sense financially. We are talking very expensive ski here and I do not believe the difference in performance is that huge so you need to splash for the Pro.
I will buy them because I intend to sell my normal WRT 180 so will only keep the 172 normal and 180 Pro.

The SX are very popular where I ski in the Dolomites. 7 out of 10 Stockli I see there are green with the rest-yellow and red.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
188R30 for freeskiing just isn't great, they are not 1 notch, or 2 from a cheater GS, they are a whole ladder.
185 GS (cheater GS) is

no FIS ski is a slouch, but for freeskiiing with people around... kinda not feeling it, I used to do it for years when I was younger(and maybe dumber, or just more fit)

SX are FUN, wonder how overlap with WRT pro will be.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
no FIS ski is a slouch, but for freeskiiing with people around... kinda not feeling it, I used to do it for years when I was younger(and maybe dumber, or just more fit)

With people around absolutely not. Heck, I need to pull the reigns hard on my 189/27 Head Pro Masters when there are many other skiers and these are very friendly ski actually, I can only imagine what would be on FIS GS.
I am thinking 4-5 runs early in the morning when there is no one around but I am not sure this use can justify the price tag of the Stockli.
We will see.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
enroll in your local masters program! then SL and GS FIS feels 100% at home! :)

I've owned the 193/R30 (race) actual race program sponsord athlete stockli GS, and yes they are fast, but I'm both tall and heavy, and I have to bring my a++++++ game to run them, and didnt really find them to be all that outside running gates, for that they were superb.

I'm betting you will like your 27Radius skis way more, look at some masters something or ti2 at 23-25m range if you wanna freeski in something grown, G9RS 183R24 or similar

its not like running a porsche GT3 RSR on a public TF trackday at the ring, its more like trying to run an F1 car there

its more of a chore, than fun.

grab some generic 188R30 atomic or similar to try out before you get new $1500 stocklis, we usually get 2022 models for like $300 on local facing facebook BST or similar with 16 or 19 din bindings with lots of edge left

you KNOW I support buying stupid shit you dont need, but, yeah :D

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I actually fully agree with what you said. Owning both GS and WRT in 180 makes sense only in case you want to switch between them and ski one while the other is in the shop for waxing/tuning.
Other than that they are really too similar with the WRT being the better ski IMHO. I gave my GS 180 to a friend and if I buy another GS ski that would probably be the 188 GS FIS. Now that would be a huge difference I expect. Quite frankly though I am still undecided between the Stockli GS FIS and the Hero Athlete FIS GS. And I also hear the Atomic GS FIS are no slouches.
I would buy normal Laser GS ONLY in case I decide to sell my Hero Masters but so far I see no reason for this.

Also, buying WRT Pro while having the 180 normal WRT makes very little sense financially. We are talking very expensive ski here and I do not believe the difference in performance is that huge so you need to splash for the Pro.
I will buy them because I intend to sell my normal WRT 180 so will only keep the 172 normal and 180 Pro.

The SX are very popular where I ski in the Dolomites. 7 out of 10 Stockli I see there are green with the rest-yellow and red.
I still think you're bonkers, the WRT in 172 is PLENTY. Ironically, the only reason I ended up with a pair of Laser GS skis was due to finding a FB marketplace sale at a price I couldn't resist.... aaaaaaand because Rick at SkiSharp.com told me in passing that the Laser GS was the "best" ski Stockli makes, anecdotally of course. Regardless, I couldn't get it out of my head so I had to try it. I loved it last season, almost preferring it at times over the WRT... but I think the SX would actually have more of what I enjoyed about the GS. Plus, its new ski season. So there.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still think you're bonkers, the WRT in 172 is PLENTY. Ironically, the only reason I ended up with a pair of Laser GS skis was due to finding a FB marketplace sale at a price I couldn't resist.... aaaaaaand because Rick at SkiSharp.com told me in passing that the Laser GS was the "best" ski Stockli makes, anecdotally of course. Regardless, I couldn't get it out of my head so I had to try it. I loved it last season, almost preferring it at times over the WRT... but I think the SX would actually have more of what I enjoyed about the GS. Plus, its new ski season. So there.
GS for nice carves & some chill
SX for some side to side to side action.

laser GS are just a darn smooth ski. you just dont go wrong with it. its pretty much impossible not to love. and impossible to find 2nd hand. (for a reason)

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
According to SoothSki it looks like the “on snow” lengths of Stockli all mountain skis are longer than nearly all comparable skis - sometimes by a lot. So barring big differences in flex does this mean you should be able to ski Stocklis that are 5-10 cm shorter than most other brands and expect similar stability and edge grip on groomed trails ?

Stockli Nordica Comparison.png

Sponsor

Staff online