• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m hanging in there just below 130, but I’m back at it so I can hit 125 before my son’s wedding in April. I lose weight VERY slowly.
Why is it one can drink water for a week and lose 2 pounds but eat one freakin' peanut M&M and gain 4?

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed below 130 all the time I wasn't able to do anything. Now that I'm walking I have gone back up to 130 as of this morning. Of course being able to walk means I have far better access to snacking, so there's that...

Time to redevelop some self control.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed below 130 all the time I wasn't able to do anything. Now that I'm walking I have gone back up to 130 as of this morning. Of course being able to walk means I have far better access to snacking, so there's that...

Time to redevelop some self control.
There's that! Maybe I need a seatbelt on the couch!

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got back from two weeks at Steamboat. Dear gf tried diligently to choose her meals wisely and allowed herself a couple of "blow-out" dinners using her weeklies (sangria and queso fundido at a Mexican restaurant, and patty melt, onion rings and a white Russian adult milkshake at Johnny B's). Got on the scale at home with great trepidation and found she'd actually lost 3 pounds! As a bonus, her 25 lb. pin from WW was waiting in the mail.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't think I've ever gained weight on a ski trip!

I'm impressed with your self-control.

I've never been on a ski trip where the late afternoon and evening didn't prominently feature eating. And drinking. And both at the same time. And then drinking while waxing. And then going out for snacks, an ice skate and a drink.

Only the type of drink and the type of food changes.

Pretty sure the last time I've lost weight on a ski trip was a week in Quebec at -25F daily highs, with a cheap nylon Izod coat. I bought a down Whirlibird and the waist line was history.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm impressed with your self-control.

I've never been on a ski trip where the late afternoon and evening didn't prominently feature eating. And drinking. And both at the same time. And then drinking while waxing. And then going out for snacks, an ice skate and a drink.

Only the type of drink and the type of food changes.
Yup. That pretty much describes my ski trips also… and skiing makes me really hungry!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I weighed in again 9am yesterday morning and had another good week. Down another 2.8. I’m in a pretty good groove now both diet and workout wise. I’m leaning heavily on the zero point foods which I think is huge for me. Workouts have been 6 days/week with around an hour of lifting, depending on what I working (legs, arms etc) and an hour of cardio. The cardio has been mainly on the treadmill, stepper or bike.

The Super Bowl today will hurt some but I’m going to save points all day and do a Sunday workout as soon as I hit post. I typically take Sundays as a rest day but I flipping that to Tuesday this week.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Coach13 Thanks for checking in. Its encouraging.

I've been diligent with my counting and have been maintaining around 10 lbs over my goal weight for about a year.
While we were traveling for a month we had a lot of dining out at places that weren't easy to stick to the plan and stay in my points. At one point I decided to stop counting and dive deep into eating what I wanted, scale be damned. I even ate a turtle sundae at Freddy's in Grand Junction.... :drool:
That was huge for me because I haven't had icecream for a very long time.
I immediately shot up to a weight I had never seen on a scale, but since being back home I've gotten back on track and have already lost 4 lbs (since Thursday)

I have to want it more than I want the turtle sundae. :D

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Coach13 Thanks for checking in. Its encouraging.

I've been diligent with my counting and have been maintaining around 10 lbs over my goal weight for about a year.
While we were traveling for a month we had a lot of dining out at places that weren't easy to stick to the plan and stay in my points. At one point I decided to stop counting and dive deep into eating what I wanted, scale be damned. I even ate a turtle sundae at Freddy's in Grand Junction.... :drool:
That was huge for me because I haven't had icecream for a very long time.
I immediately shot up to a weight I had never seen on a scale, but since being back home I've gotten back on track and have already lost 4 lbs (since Thursday)

I have to want it more than I want the turtle sundae. :D
You have to eat those things some for this to be sustainable. Then of course, get right back to it. To me, even being mindful of what you eat (good or bad) is a win!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Down another 3.2 as of Saturday morning. Didn’t eat perfectly for sure with the Super Bowl party but hit it hard the rest of the week, especially the workouts. I’m looking forward to consistently warm weather so I get on the bike regularly. I live about 5 miles from both the C&O canal and the W&OD trail so I have plenty of riding options. I think that will help supplement my workouts.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Down another 3.2 as of Saturday morning. Didn’t eat perfectly for sure with the Super Bowl party but hit it hard the rest of the week, especially the workouts. I’m looking forward to consistently warm weather so I get on the bike regularly. I live about 5 miles from both the C&O canal and the W&OD trail so I have plenty of riding options. I think that will help supplement my workouts.
So stoked for you.
I'm still lingering about 10 +/- above where I feel my best, but I'm giving myself some grace because I've been warned that its a long haul after radiation.
I am pretty proud of myself that I haven't let myself get out of control.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So stoked for you.
I'm still lingering about 10 +/- above where I feel my best, but I'm giving myself some grace because I've been warned that its a long haul after radiation.
I am pretty proud of myself that I haven't let myself get out of control.
Thanks!

You’ll get there, just being conscious of your circumstances is a big win imo. Btw, I’m super proud of you too. When folks (including me!) face tough times it’s easy to lose focus on other areas of life and one’s health is one of the 1st to go. You haven’t done that, that’s how I know you got this when the time comes!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks!

You’ll get there, just being conscious of your circumstances is a big win imo. Btw, I’m super proud of you too. When folks (including me!) face tough times it’s easy to lose focus on other areas of life and one’s health is one of the 1st to go. You haven’t done that, that’s how I know you got this when the time comes!
Thank you.
I was reminded of this recently when I talked to another breast cancer survivor who underwent radiation.
The whole process messese with hormones which plays a huge role in our weight and overall fitness.

I'm currently under the mindset that I'm sticking to the plan. If I lose weight and gain strength, great. But if I can only maintain the place I'm in, I'm winning.

I keep this in the back of my mind. My oncologist said, "even though you're done with radiation, its not done with you. It can take a couple years for you to stop feeling the side effects"

I'm alive. I'm cancer free and I'm only 10 lbs above my goal.
Comparing my situation to those I sat in the waiting room wtih at the oncologists office...I'm winning.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I hover around 145, which is better than last winter, when I hovered around 155. I would be thrilled with 130-135, but I'm not holding my breath. My success comes from time-restricted eating. Once I taught myself to skip breakfast and (try to) stop eating by 8 pm, I have been able to lose weight when I put my mind to it.

I recently blew it with (1) a ski trip where we stayed in a shared condo, and people brought lots of foods (that I generally cope with by not having them in the house)! And (2) staying in the hospital with my daughter after childbirth - she had preeclampsia again and her blood pressure was so high she couldn't be discharged for 6 days. (Mom and baby are doing quite well now, thanks.) Nothing to do there but admire the baby and worry about her BP, and the hospital provided meals, so I was eating 3 meals a day and scarcely moving at all. Now I'm home and I know it will go back down.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@newboots We're in this together. I'm right there with ya in the 145 +/- range. Right now more + than -.

Hang in there.

Sponsor

Staff online