• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do Europeans prefer a slim cut for their apparel? Does it serve a function or is it just form?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
It's because most Americans are fat.

Yes indeed! Way too many here in the US are HUGE and nothing but baggy gear will contain them.
They tend to produce FAT offspring too...(have a look at the size of grade school kids waiting to transition from mommy's car to the school bus).

James

Out There
Instructor
Well what’s with mid thigh length jackets now, approaching knee length? Shells.
Shaun White went slim, tight cut and no one follwed.
More of a style thing in general I think.

I honestly don’t notice a huge difference on the slopes. There’s tons of Europeans who ski 6 days/year and that’s it.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, Was just skiing in Italy and did not notice much difference in piste fashion. Not that I would.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Older skiers in Europe who haven’t bought new ski clothes in 40 years feature the skinnier cut ski clothes. You’ll see more high fashion stuff than you do at most US areas. But in most cases, it’s a lot like what you see in the US. The technical, big bucks freeride brands are very strong. Not everyone is a piste carver these days. Big change in the past decade. it is a fact that American skiers are much bigger. I’m 6’ and I’m usually the tallest guy in the tram in Europe.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never understood this, or wearing hockey team sweaters. See it a lot in CO, esp over spring break. Kind of a mini-tribalism statement on the slopes.
They can't possibly be warm or, in wet conditions, dry.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes indeed! Way too many here in the US are HUGE and nothing but baggy gear will contain them.
They tend to produce FAT offspring too...(have a look at the size of grade school kids waiting to transition from mommy's car to the school bus).
Reminds me of the recent tragic story out of Florida of the teenager who fell from a ride at Dollywood to his death.
Turns out he was 6'5" and about 350 pounds. Good lord! More than 200 pounds more than me. We have a problem in the US.
And, size limit on ride was 287 pounds.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Our local ski shop sells Salomon clothes. I can get into the L or XL, but the cuts are slim. My pet peeve with a lot of the Euro stuff is it NOT WARM enough for eastern Canada. Therefore I buy Avalanche as it is designed in Quebec. Made like everything else in China, but....

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well what’s with mid thigh length jackets now, approaching knee length? Shells.
Shaun White went slim, tight cut and no one follwed.
More of a style thing in general I think.

I honestly don’t notice a huge difference on the slopes. There’s tons of Europeans who ski 6 days/year and that’s it.

There's two tons of Americans who ski 6 days/year and that's it too.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I lived and studied in Europe for 5 years growing up during HS and college. This came up many times. Basically came down to cultural differences. I would return to the U.S. on occasion and see everyone in "relaxed" mode in shorts, sneakers and T-Shirts. I'm sure it has changed quite a bit but you never wore that in Europe unless you were at the beach, actively participating in a sport, or in an occasional casual mode. Even larger people over there wear their clothes "fitted". As Americans we always stood out everywhere because of our relaxed clothing, naturally ripped jeans and billboard smiles. On the ski slopes we DEF stood out as the Europeans were always dressed to the Nines..... by our standards.

Now the styles are changing for the youth. Just look at any pic of Henrik Harlaut or Candide Thovex

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
There are two 'schools' of European clothing brands. The Scandinavian, British, and German brands are designed for bigger people. The Italian, French and other Southern European brands tend to use standards for petite people. I am 182 cm, 90 kg. I wear a Haglöfs or Peak Performance jacket (both Swedish brands) in size M; I have Kappa and Regatta jackets (both Italian) in size L or even XL. And then there are the brands that are very sporty in style. Mammut jackets, for example, are very slim fit and with very long arms. They just assume everyone is a climbing god or a very slender Orangutan.

James

Out There
Instructor
They just assume everyone is a climbing god or a very slender Orangutan.
Fear not, there’s a whole group of designers here in the PNW who design for those people. Beanstalks with beards. They also assume everyone skins 4 hours per day so they’re always hot. ( will avoid another cold helmet rant)

And while we’re at it, would it be so difficult to make kids helmets hold the goggles on?

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like room, I'm hardly fat, and i've been around. We have a problem in America, but i've seen plenty of fat Germans, Frenchies, Italians, etc.

Yes we have HUGE people, but they usually aren't on ski hills either.

as for jerseys, people wear what they like, who cares.
Top: Pro football coaches in the US. Bottom, pro football coaches in Europe:
View attachment 165027
only 1 of those guys is an NFL coach

and these guys are also NFL coaches.

1648743066853.png

1648743274052.png

1648743361159.png

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Top: Pro football coaches in the US. Bottom, pro football coaches in Europe:
View attachment 165027
Two entirely different sports. so hardly an apt comparison.

But yeah, Americans tend towards chunky. It's so bad I'll only buy fitted dress shirts, everything else fitting like a tent and I'm not exactly skinny.

On the flip side buying slacks is becoming more an more difficult. Asian manufacturers apparently not understanding that we are not a nation of the pencil legged.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Reminds me of the recent tragic story out of Florida of the teenager who fell from a ride at Dollywood to his death.
Turns out he was 6'5" and about 350 pounds. Good lord! More than 200 pounds more than me. We have a problem in the US.
And, size limit on ride was 287 pounds.
Not at Dollywood - at ICON park just off I-drive in Orlando.

But, was at D-wood the following Sunday and their similar ride was indeed shut down for "maintenance."

Sponsor

Staff online