• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, having sown up the SL, PV moves within a few points of MS in the Overall. Goggia a distant 3rd. Had PV won Kronplatz the extra 20 points would have put her in the lead.

1643150893249.png

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Yep, Sara H has 462 points in GS.
Tessa Worley is in second, with 367.
Mikaela sits in third with 361. 101 points back.

She's right. Finishing 5th, with 45 points was not a plus. There ARE three GS left, so it's not entirely impossible. But that's a huge amount to make up on somebody who's skiing so well. And who has not had a GS DNF in almost three seasons.

The way she's skiing, Sara Hector will deserve and win the GS globe.

Overall? Here's what's left. Four DH's, Three SG's, Three GS, Two SL. I honestly can't really guess as to how it will play out between PV and MS. Right now they are essentially tied. I "guess" I expect PV to gain points in the two SL's. In the GS, I think it will be close, with an edge to MS. I bet MS will race at least two of the SG's. Perhaps she'll race all three.....which would mean Garmisch on Sunday. I doubt that one. What will PV ski? Will either race a DH or two?

That IG post was a long one. Not sure if it's all her work. Reading it, it makes me think about the chatter about Jeff Lackie's reassignment, right now, after seven seasons with them. Putting up with Eileen for seven years would do in ANY high level coach that I know.

It's also crystal clear that her back is not "just back spasms." It has fundamentally changed her skiing and her ability to execute. Tactics, line, speed through transitions, ability to get in the fall line as quickly. It's sort of rare when she has it all working, where it was just automatic, the norm, not that long ago.

I hope that we don't pile on the NBC and other media pressure by portraying her as the "Gold Medal Favorite" in multiple events. Maybe a medal favorite in a couple would be better. I hope this is NOT the end result, but she could get shut out. Which would be a shame.....

Just my thoughts.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
If MS doesn't medal in at least one of AC, SL, and GS, I think that has to be looked at as a failure. I think 1-2 medals is likely.

Re: overall, I think all bets are off between MS and PV - depends how many starts they both make after the OWG. If either has a disappointing OWG, I expect them to go all-in to win the overall, probably starting every race.

If the Olympics go well, then we'll see how much they really believe in "2022 is all about the olympics" vs. "wait i can win these medals AND a globe"

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Along with Hector who has just been killing it, Vlhova’s first run & Bucik’s 2nd where pretty sweet!

Shiffrin is nowhere near her typical performance level. It’s not just that the others are skiing better, she is just not skiing as well as her competition. Fact is Shiffrin is a better skier than the others just maybe not as good an athlete. She may have some long term covid effects, could be the back or a combination of all the factors that have been mentioned & she’s still top 5. Whatever it is she will figure it out & dominate again!
Either that or retire :huh: :eek: :huh:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
If MS doesn't medal in at least one of AC, SL, and GS, I think that has to be looked at as a failure. I think 1-2 medals is likely.

Yep, agree 100%. AC has not been front of mind for me. No medals would be a real disaster. I surely hope not to see that.

As far as the rest/end of the season, we’ll see. On a lot of fronts.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Respect all the opinions here, however I see things a little different. MS is aiming at the OWG and this has been shown mostly in her lack of a charge at the Start of most recent races. Today you did not see her charge out of the start gate and little or no skate etc. in the start first 2 gates. Does this indicate 80% racing or saving it for the Olympics. Of course I could be dead wrong but no one ever accused MS or being stupid. Noticing Goggia and Breezy aren't going to China could certainly enter her PLAN.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
SL or GS is still not 50k xc skiing race, where you would want to take it a bit easier few weeks before Olympics, so only option to "save for Olympics" might be, that you don't want to push to limits, crash and get injured. Otherwise it's not really taking it easy, so that you wouldn't be too tired for Olympics. And even skiing at 80% and taking care not to crash might actually be more dangerous then pushing it. Most of these guys and girls know one speed only on races, full speed, so when you ski differently then what you are used to, you actually have more chances something will go wrong.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't help but think there's something going on within the Shiffrin camp. I think Lackie's dismissal is being completely misrepresented, especially given its timing.

Sure, it could be long COVID - that's entirely a possibility, and could explain why MS isn't completely on form. It almost certainly does not explain why Lackie would be reassigned. But for a racer like Shiffrin the mental game is a huge part of things, and one's support staff contributes to this. Dismissing a key coach midway through the season seems to me a bit strange and... well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Just my $0.02...

Great race from Hector today. She's the class in women's GS right now.
Thanks for the insights. I always wonder how the inner camp affects the on snow performance. I know when I'm "off" its not good and I'm lightyears apart from someone like MS.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Along with Hector who has just been killing it, Vlhova’s first run & Bucik’s 2nd where pretty sweet!

Shiffrin is nowhere near her typical performance level. It’s not just that the others are skiing better, she is just not skiing as well as her competition. Fact is Shiffrin is a better skier than the others just maybe not as good an athlete. She may have some long term covid effects, could be the back or a combination of all the factors that have been mentioned & she’s still top 5. Whatever it is she will figure it out & dominate again!
Either that or retire :huh: :eek: :huh:
I've noticed that. She's lankier, just smaller overall than, obviously PV, but also Hector, Worley are more solidly built. She seems to have always had superior technique to make up for that but if her injury is preventing her from skiing her best form, she might be off the pace.

I dunno, she's had such a good run at the top from such a young age that honestly she could retire now and hold her head more than high. I don't want to see a Simone Biles situation where she just flames out mentally (or physically). It was really painful watching Vonn and Mancuso try to ski through career-ending injuries.

James

Out There
Instructor
Came across this podcast by Matt Wilson looking for some info on Jeff Lackie. There’s an interview with him from last March. But honestly, you’ll get nothing on Mikaela. You might as well read elsewhere. Not surprising. 11 hours, that’s the main thing I learned. That’s how much timed racing/training they get per year and trying to get that and managing it with schedule and weather is a lot of work.

However, the interview with Goggia from last November at Copper training is very good, she gives a lot. Dave Ryding was also interesting. A lot of people on the interview list. Don’t know how they get everybody.

I doubt Goggia would flame out mentally, she’ll just move on. She’s working on a degree at a college in Rome. Poli Sci.
Physically, let’s hope she’s not a Vonn. Not looking good.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I understand there are varying levels of innate talent and that winning that many races doesn't mean she is the #1 innate talent. Apparently she's a good enough athlete to win 73 world cup races is my point, which is pretty decent in my mind.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Fact is Shiffrin is a better skier than the others just maybe not as good an athlete.
"She's not as good of an athlete" after winning 73 world cups and based on superficial visual inspection from your TV....got it
Didn’t mean to offend. Perhaps I should have said she is not as “natural” an athlete as some of the others because she certainly is gifted.
It seems she relies more on her dedication, superior technique & conditioning than pure athleticism to win. For instance, she isn’t gonna ski off the fence ala Bode Miller & still almost win the Hahnenkamm DH race or just grunt her way out of trouble to win like Hector did the other day.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Didn’t mean to offend. Perhaps I should have said she is not as “natural” an athlete as some of the others because she certainly is gifted.
It seems she relies more on her dedication, superior technique & conditioning than pure athleticism to win. For instance, she isn’t gonna ski off the fence ala Bode Miller & still almost win the Hahnenkamm DH race or just grunt her way out of trouble to win like Hector did the other day.
GRUNTING is way underrated, it is a positive verbal expression of dire determination. When I am searching for rythmn on a difficult section of the mountain I will breath really loud and in timing with my turns. Grunting is also present at times,i.e. kicking off into one man chute at Kirkwood. Can so relate to Hector. Go girl, ugh

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
GRUNTING is way underrated, it is a positive verbal expression of dire determination. When I am searching for rythmn on a difficult section of the mountain I will breath really loud and in timing with my turns. Grunting is also present at times,i.e. kicking off into one man chute at Kirkwood. Can so relate to Hector. Go girl, ugh

As long as it doesn't start sounding like the tennis.

Why not a quiet Lleyton Hewitt "Come On" in the start house?

1643329274961.png

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Hector is fun in that way, she grunts and yells to herself, normally through out a run. The things she yell are mostly "self coaching" and "pepping" stuff like come on now or just fonetic disappointment Aaarrgghhh however some times, viewer discretion is advised. PG18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online