• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Much better than expected! The long slog from GC up the palisades was the name of the game. Little overnight dusting of like .2” up top. Was thinking today was going to be my last but It seems like a good freeze is in the cards again tonight so might have to reconsider…

F4E1BB8B-C6C0-4ADB-B684-AD802D60E31F.jpeg

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was quite good at Palisades for closing day, It was a bit cloudy and cold which kept the snow skiing well into the early afternoon. Shirley line was long most of the day but overall pretty good for closing day.

Attachments

• 484DD6CF-2901-45C9-9C42-ABCC07BC1D8F.jpeg
    484DD6CF-2901-45C9-9C42-ABCC07BC1D8F.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 29
  • 9B6CD779-AEAA-4340-BB83-AD9F9BC08FBE.jpeg
    9B6CD779-AEAA-4340-BB83-AD9F9BC08FBE.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Pictures from Palisades today. I shared my first Gold Coast ride at 819 with a unicorn, then sat down next to @Leigh on my second lap.
4172Unicorn.JPG
We skied all the runs on Gold Coast twice before moving to Shirley where we skied with Lou for many laps, trying every route including an early run far lookers right of Shirley Bowl, which skied OK, but had a lot of floating rocks. We never tried the wiggles, one of which was nearly deep enough for people to disappear. 4201ShirleyWiggle.JPG To get out of the long Shirley line (maybe 5 min at worst), we did the hike from top of Gold Coast to National Chute which was much firmer than on last Sunday. This was @Leigh on the easiest entrance to where the long bootpack/walk starts. 4179LeighDropping.JPG
There were a lot of birds riding thermals between top of Palisades and the Lake. I had dropped my jacket at Gold Coast before hike, but was still wearing two thin base layers under my Hawaiian shirt which got a little warm going up Siberia Ridge. Leigh took the road which looked better.
4181TonyPalisades.JPG
Main Chute looked like it required downclimbing to get to snow which may have made it an easier entry than usual.
4189MainChuter.JPG
@Leigh in National Chute with some of the birds flying over. 4192LeighNationalBirds.JPG
There were a lot of costumes and people wearing shorts. This is the only bikini I saw and I'm not sure if she skied a run in it or was only posing.
4177Bikini.JPG
There was also a guy with a colorful mohawk wearing what looked like theatrical/Mad Max style body armor and a guy boarding with a dinosaur.
4196Dinosaur.JPG
I quit skiing about 1:45 after digging up drinks and snacks I'd buried in snow on first run.
4205EndOfSeason.JPG
After relaxing at my SUV, then looking at always amazing Keoki's gallery, I parked at end of Olympic Valley and rested for a while before taking a bike ride along the river to the first bridge past River Ranch. It started raining big drops before I got back to my friend's house for dinner at 5.
4207TruckeeRiver.JPG

Attachments

• 4192LeighNationalBirds.JPG
    4192LeighNationalBirds.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 19

Leigh

Booting up
Skier
Pictures from Palisades today. I shared my first Gold Coast ride at 819 with a unicorn, then sat down next to @Leigh on my second lap.
View attachment 170302
We skied all the runs on Gold Coast twice before moving to Shirley where we skied with Lou for many laps, trying every route including an early run far lookers right of Shirley Bowl, which skied OK, but had a lot of floating rocks. We never tried the wiggles, one of which was nearly deep enough for people to disappear. View attachment 170303 To get out of the long Shirley line (maybe 5 min at worst), we did the hike from top of Gold Coast to National Chute which was much firmer than on last Sunday. This was @Leigh on the easiest entrance to where the long bootpack/walk starts. View attachment 170304
There were a lot of birds riding thermals between top of Palisades and the Lake. I had dropped my jacket at Gold Coast before hike, but was still wearing two thin base layers under my Hawaiian shirt which got a little warm going up Siberia Ridge. Leigh took the road which looked better.
View attachment 170305
Main Chute looked like it required downclimbing to get to snow which may have made it an easier entry than usual.
View attachment 170306
@Leigh in National Chute with some of the birds flying over. View attachment 170308
There were a lot of costumes and people wearing shorts. This is the only bikini I saw and I'm not sure if she skied a run in it or was only posing.
View attachment 170309
There was also a guy with a colorful mohawk wearing what looked like theatrical/Mad Max style body armor and a guy boarding with a dinosaur.
View attachment 170310
I quit skiing about 1:45 after digging up drinks and snacks I'd buried in snow on first run.
View attachment 170311
After relaxing at my SUV, then looking at always amazing Keoki's gallery, I parked at end of Olympic Valley and rested for a while before taking a bike ride along the river to the first bridge past River Ranch. It started raining big drops before I got back to my friend's house for dinner at 5.

View attachment 170302
We skied all the runs on Gold Coast twice before moving to Shirley where we skied with Lou for many laps, trying every route including an early run far lookers right of Shirley Bowl, which skied OK, but had a lot of floating rocks. We never tried the wiggles, one of which was nearly deep enough for people to disappear. View attachment 170303 To get out of the long Shirley line (maybe 5 min at worst), we did the hike from top of Gold Coast to National Chute which was much firmer than on last Sunday. This was @Leigh on the easiest entrance to where the long bootpack/walk starts. View attachment 170304
View attachment 170305
View attachment 170306
@Leigh in National Chute with some of the birds flying over. View attachment 170308
View attachment 170309
View attachment 170310
View attachment 170311
View attachment 170312
Thanks for the great photos!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Heavenly North Bowl Chair auction is now on:

EDIT: Linking to other thread:

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
My season closing day was weird. I skied until probably 11:30 without seeing a single familiar face. Though about skiing Palisades ( the terrain), but decided that a long boot pack was not worth it. after the snow started to deteriorate I downloaded and went for an 18 mile bike ride in the afternoon. Season ended up with 50 days under the belt. I must say it was one of the more weird seasons, very few powder days, unremarkable snow most of the days. Looking forward to the next season, which promises to be interesting with major new lift developments at Squaw. I’m really curious how the B2B gondola will change the skiing experience with easy access to Alpine terrain.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Looks very much that on arrival at Alpine everyone still has to hike uphill to Roundhouse or Summit? I can see why - space is kinda constrained if you must have the base station skiers right but it's a ballache for the tourist this is designed to wow.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Looks very much that on arrival at Alpine everyone still has to hike uphill to Roundhouse or Summit? I can see why - space is kinda constrained if you must have the base station skiers right but it's a ballache for the tourist this is designed to wow.
They should have taken a field trip to Beaver Creek, Colorado prior to starting this project.
1520202905_nzrkfmsjy-3523970515.jpg
CVRBeavImprovements-VDN-111713-431806864.jpg
cookietimeVailResorts_BVC6128_Jack_Affleck_HighRes-1024x755-1367557987.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall Beaver Creek having a conveyor belt/people mover over a bridge and between 2 chair by one of their base lodges. Talk about convenience :D
Hmm... I didn't see that last season, and had to pole/skate between chairs and over a bridge a few times.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I recall Beaver Creek having a conveyor belt/people mover over a bridge and between 2 chair by one of their base lodges. Talk about convenience :D
That coneyor enables them to consider Strawberry part of the same base area whereas reality ( and the fencing preventing anyone approaching it with any momentum is that it is an entirely separate zone).

I find US resorts seem to aspire to Euro levels of lift connectivity and ease of access/ egress but then execution is always slightly out. I guess having to allow for colossal lines is part of the problem.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That coneyor enables them to consider Strawberry part of the same base area whereas reality ( and the fencing preventing anyone approaching it with any momentum is that it is an entirely separate zone).

I find US resorts seem to aspire to Euro levels of lift connectivity and ease of access/ egress but then execution is always slightly out. I guess having to allow for colossal lines is part of the problem.
But there is no conveyor at the bottom of Strawberry... maybe there was before? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online