• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
@Shawn happen to notice if they have the cables up and spliced for the new lift yet? I’m hoping they have it spinning by the end of the month.
Didn't see. Hopefully they're still on track. I'm looking forward to skiing that side of the mountain more.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A cold-and-wet one at Blue today.

-I drove up in the rain and was pleasantly surprised to find it snowing when I got there. It ended up snowing all day.

-Same three trails were open: Free Fall, Paradise and Burma. No lift lines on Comet Quad, though it was crowded with everyone concentrated on the same three narrow trails.

-For me it was laps on Free Fall all day again. Best snow and fewest people. I was content to surf the margins of the trails today as there were too many people for wide carving anywhere except the first part of Free Fall. Had to stay in your lane.

View attachment 185619 View attachment 185616 View attachment 185618 View attachment 185617
There was a lot of dodging snowboarders on their butts.
Snowboards sitting on the side of the trails AKA Trail Trash.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have often thought the these local hills are the feeder system for larger areas, starting places for learning families and eventually returning to as seniors for mid week skiing.

As a fairly young kid in Maryland my brothers and i patched together boards for skis and traipsed around the fields while drooling over pictures of people skiing in europe and out west. Never dreamed it would be accessible. Then, when i was in 5th grade, a guy came to school and put on a program about how us kids could ski at the new resort they were building across the line in PA! It was like being transported to your fantasy. Later, when they developed the back side of Charnita (Ski Liberty later) & the lights were on for night skiing, you could see it from my house some 15 miles away.

It's easy to be dismissive since there are plenty of 11 or 12 year old kids (& younger) growing up near real mountains.
But from 57 years later, in a non-skiing family, how lucky was that?!? How many kids grow up in non skiing areas in non-skiing families, and never have access to skiing?

smt

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
As a fairly young kid in Maryland my brothers and i patched together boards for skis and traipsed around the fields while drooling over pictures of people skiing in europe and out west. Never dreamed it would be accessible. Then, when i was in 5th grade, a guy came to school and put on a program about how us kids could ski at the new resort they were building across the line in PA! It was like being transported to your fantasy. Later, when they developed the back side of Charnita (Ski Liberty later) & the lights were on for night skiing, you could see it from my house some 15 miles away.

It's easy to be dismissive since there are plenty of 11 or 12 year old kids (& younger) growing up near real mountains.
But from 57 years later, in a non-skiing family, how lucky was that?!? How many kids grow up in non skiing areas in non-skiing families, and never have access to skiing?

smt
I grew up in a poor non skiing family and not really near any ski resorts. After high school I started working with a cool guy that skied, he shared stories about skiing and partying at Killington. Later I was able to join a social group at a church that ran one or two ski trip a year. These two things are the how I got into skiing. A few years later I was going to college nights and I saw a bulletin board that said "Jobs For Students" a ski shop was looking for part time help I called, for an interview and got the job. The same season was the first year that I went in on a group ski house at Hunter mountain NY. It was a wonderful season 1971 - 1972. The rest as they say is history.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not good with the waiting but constantly watching the snow making on the web cam today. Nice to see them pumping it out and it looks like a good window + maybe a boost from mother nature. Even if there is a break as the storm comes through next week should have another good period to make snow. Day 6 will either be Friday (opening) or Saturday morning then on from there.

IMG_2069.JPG

Looking so forward to this

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
First night skiing of the year at Blue.

-Conditions were fast and slick; my favorite. Felt like mid-winter firm.

-They've been hammering Main St and Lazy Mile with snowmaking for a potential opening this weekend or sooner. That will be nice. As much as I love laps on Free Fall, it will be nice to ski something different. (Or Montage or Elk!)

IMG_4670.jpeg
IMG_4663.jpeg IMG_4653.jpeg
IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4625.jpeg

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some chairs hanging on the new lift! Let’s see that thing spinning. Im heading north this weekend but am hoping to get back to Blue so,e time next week for some more terrain.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Willyum215 I'm thinking about going tomorrow

Wax Union Dale wunderground dot com:
TonightThu 12/15 Low 29 °F
100% Precip. / 6 in
Snow likely. Low 29F. Winds E at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.
TomorrowFri 12/16 High 35 °F
97% Precip. / 3 in
Periods of snow. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. N winds at 10 to 20 mph, decreasing to 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got an email today with an offer from Blue to add on a camelback pass to my season pass for $188. It came from an email address [email protected] and not and official Blue address. Had to read through it to see if I also inherited a million dollars from a wealthy prince in some far off land. :rolleyes: Sure enough the the offer is on Blue’s website. https://www.shopskibluemt.com/camelback-2223-all-access-season-pass-add-on
I see nothing on the Camelback Pass Perks end. Of course I can't even find out what they plan to open tomorrow for skiing either. At least the web cam has been on. Won't make any difference to me as Blue is not too convenient for me, but for people with homes up in the Pocono's (we used to ) that would be good to have both mountains.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
@Willyum215 I'm thinking about going tomorrow

Wax Union Dale wunderground dot com:
TonightThu 12/15 Low 29 °F
100% Precip. / 6 in
Snow likely. Low 29F. Winds E at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.
TomorrowFri 12/16 High 35 °F
97% Precip. / 3 in
Periods of snow. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. N winds at 10 to 20 mph, decreasing to 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

I have to attend a memorial service in the Philly area this afternoon. Otherwise, I'd be there too. Enjoy if you go!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback just opened up the Black Bear 6 Bubble lift. (not even going to ask why) From the cams it looks like they got a pretty decent snow fall with not too much rain. Would hope they are aggressive and crank up the snow production when this thing passes as its supposed to get cold. One would think that it wouldn't take as much snow and time to get trails up and running with some natural base down. They could get a good percentage terrain open for the up coming holiday week. There's also rumors of another storm next week. Hopefully up there tomorrow.

Edit: Saw a 7.3" report out of Mount Pocono and as of 12:30 it was snowing at CBK

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to attend a memorial service in the Philly area this afternoon. Otherwise, I'd be there too. Enjoy if you go!
Didn't make it to ELK, my sleep pattern is too screwed up, couldn't do it :( :doh:
Last night Wax was reporting 5" - 8" snow totals for the day, I don't have an AWD vehicle and bribed skiing neighbor with a Subie Outback to drive in exchange for my buying our lift tix.
Got a wake up call at 5am, checked Wax and snow forecast dropped to 1" - 3" with temps of 35º - 36º most of the day, we figured wet heavy gloopy snow and no time for me to do a warm snow hot wax. Plus only one Black trail open, half of a Blue and a few Greens, did I say only one Black run :rolleyes: I know early season and the place was looking like a winter wonderland. Only we were both dead tired. My eyes were burning! We decided to sleep till 9am, thinking by then Elk Web site conditions should be posted and emails sent, check trail report & Wax, take it from there / ETA good for the 4 hour lift ticket. Temps were lowered to 32º and 33º which was better. Looked at Mountain Cams, place appeared deserted. We both were still much too sleep deprived dead tired and decided to bag it. Not risk sleep deprived drunk driving like functioning or even falling asleep at the wheel on the return trip :nono:
It's not easy having a night owl biological clock! I thought the older one gets the more of a morning person one becomes - yeah right - that hasn't happened :doh:

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Good weekend up at Blue.

-Saturday was firm and stayed firm all day. Made a friend on the lift and another guy gifted me a lift beer.

-Sunday I left home in darkness and pulled up to the parking lot at 7:59am. Lots of racer moms and dads out at that hour. The day started very cold and firm but softened up. I avoided Free Fall: Comet Quad had snowmaking under it. Once the snow softened, I spent some time surfing the pillowy margins of Paradise.

-Lazy Mile and Midway to Lower Main Street opened. They were blowing snow on Upper Main Street and Razor's Edge.

-Lower Paradise ("Home Stretch" in trail inflation terms) is still the only way to get to the lifts, and all trails converge on it. So it's a bit like the Lincoln Tunnel.

-Some chairs are going up on the new Main Street Express lift.

9A2FA5FB-5759-472A-B5FC-6897229177DD.jpeg

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
lower temps today, appears they dropped some ropes as expected / Seneca, Susquehanna and Tunkhannock open
So, how was it?

It was pretty good - great to dust the cobwebs off for sure!
As you mentioned, the terrain was pretty limited, but they did a nice job with what they opened.
The 8" of super heavy snow helped with the base.
Only a few people were there as well. I stayed for 10 runs.
I'm on PTO today, so heading back up there in a bit.
Here's a nice shot from Saturday AM:

15818285-941B-421C-9DB8-9C9805545D77.JPG

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was pretty good - great to dust the cobwebs off for sure!
As you mentioned, the terrain was pretty limited, but they did a nice job with what they opened.
The 8" of super heavy snow helped with the base.
Only a few people were there as well. I stayed for 10 runs.
I'm on PTO today, so heading back up there in a bit.
Here's a nice shot from Saturday AM:

View attachment 186384
I hit Greek Saturday and Elk Sunday afternoon, Elk skied great what was open... hero snow for sure, no crowds at all was a great afternoon.
Enjoy you're day hopefully it skies the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor