• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a lot less trauma wise if the TPF not displaced/no other damage, although the tibial plateau is highly vascular as well and and you do get a lot of knee involvement. PT probably isn’t all that different in total scope.

I didn’t take my TPF seriously enough and developed a small DVT below the knee. Earned myself 12 self administered heparin shots on the stomach and 3 months of warfarin. That was the worst part.

Here I just took Xeralto for anti-clotting for 2 weeks post surgery and am on low dose aspirin for a month. Much better.

I know this is one the one hand much bigger, on the other hand I’m about 75% weight bearing and should trade in crutches for a cane next week. The dichotomy is a bit difficult to reconcile at times.
I was on several anti-clotting protocols , including aspirin for a month.
Had to keep my leg elevated for several hours a day for about two weeks. My first hip replacement (2/20) I used a squeezer to keep the blood circulating post op . 2nd one( 9/22 )they didn’t think I needed it. Protocols change. Also, no flying for 6 weeks post surgery, due to the risk of thrombosis .
The cane is your friend- I didn’t want one - that’s for old people etc., but it does a good job of signaling to others to give you a wider berth when going about your daily activities and thus avoiding getting jostled or worse ,falling.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Retuned to action yesterday. Felt great to be back out on the snow. Perfect squeaky cold snow surface paired with bright sunshine. Eyesight still less the 100% but good enough to safely move about.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I was on several anti-clotting protocols , including aspirin for a month.
Had to keep my leg elevated for several hours a day for about two weeks. My first hip replacement (2/20) I used a squeezer to keep the blood circulating post op . 2nd one( 9/22 )they didn’t think I needed it. Protocols change. Also, no flying for 6 weeks post surgery, due to the risk of thrombosis .
The cane is your friend- I didn’t want one - that’s for old people etc., but it does a good job of signaling to others to give you a wider berth when going about your daily activities and thus avoiding getting jostled or worse ,falling.
I’ve been thinking I could get a pimp cane.

The hospital used auto squeezers on my calves for the first two days. Kinda liked ‘em.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Retuned to action yesterday. Felt great to be back out on the snow. Perfect squeaky cold snow surface paired with bright sunshine. Eyesight still less the 100% but good enough to safely move about.
You picked one hell of a day to return to skiing! Our pipes froze overnight in the kitchen but got them running and avoided disaster.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve been thinking I could get a pimp cane.

The hospital used auto squeezers on my calves for the first two days. Kinda liked ‘em.
May I suggest the J.Peterman , gentlemen’s walking stick?
I know it’s a 90’s reference but it’s an evergreen :D

Reactions: nay

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You picked one hell of a day to return to skiing! Our pipes froze overnight in the kitchen but got them running and avoided disaster.
Frozen pipes aren't a problem. Thawing pipes is when the disaster hits!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you see the wind chill on Mt Washington? -108 at 3:49 am. this morning. My sister, near the Vermont border in Massachusetts, runs her dishwasher on the longest cycle overnight just to keep water moving . She had -18 overnight.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
May I suggest the J.Peterman , gentlemen’s walking stick?
I know it’s a 90’s reference but it’s an evergreen :D
F6EF5EA4-72A6-4B3E-BBFC-56F889AED654.jpeg

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
1 week update after a mild MCL sprain sustained in a low-speed fall while skiing in soft conditions

-By the 4th day, I no longer needed crutches, even for stairs. I still go up stairs using my left leg to lift and my right leg following.

-Walking improves daily and becomes more natural.

-I had my first exercise bike session on the 6th day, cycling for 20 minutes. My leg felt great after the workout; better than before. The saying "motion is lotion" proved true.

-The prospect of a return to skiing in the near future was promising, but I experienced a setback on the 7th day. My knee was tweaked when my leg twisted while stepping on a doormat. I felt mild pain (1/10) while walking shortly after, but it quickly subsided. However, my gait has returned to a more prominent limp. My leg seems to remain vulnerable to twisting or side-loading injuries.

- @Andy Mink , you used the Bio-Logix Knee Brace for your MCL injury, right? Did it work for you? I'm considering getting one to protect against twisting or side/ lateral loading and maybe help get back to skiing soon.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1 week update after a mild MCL sprain sustained in a low-speed fall while skiing in soft conditions

-By the 4th day, I no longer needed crutches, even for stairs. I still go up stairs using my left leg to lift and my right leg following.

-I had my first exercise bike session on the 6th day, cycling for 20 minutes. My leg felt great after the workout; better than before. The saying "motion is lotion" proved true.

-The prospect of a return to skiing in the near future was promising, but I experienced a setback on the 7th day. My knee was tweaked when my leg twisted while stepping on a doormat. I felt mild pain (1/10) while walking shortly after, but it quickly subsided. However, my gait has returned to a more prominent limp. My leg seems to remain vulnerable to twisting or side-loading injuries.

- @Andy Mink , you used the Bio-Logix Knee Brace for your MCL injury, right? Did it work for you? I'm considering getting one to protect against twisting or side/ lateral loading and maybe help get back to skiing soon.
Yes. I didn't reinjure so it worked or I just didn't hurt it. It does add side to side stability. I don't think it does a lot for twisting. I'm not sure any brace can do that. It was weird skiing without it after dozens of days in it. I think it was a good balance of mobility and stability.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I used this one.
20230205_091115.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
On the three week anniversary I have dropped to one crutch, used similarly to a cane. It’s going well so far, moving as normally as possible is pure medicine. Can also carry sh*t around again :crutches:.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the three week anniversary I have dropped to one crutch, used similarly to a cane. It’s going well so far, moving as normally as possible is pure medicine. Can also carry sh*t around again :crutches:.

View attachment 191574
Yes, the honeymoon is over when you can carry sh&t around once more. :roflmao:
making progress! :D

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’ve done 3 Peloton rides on my wife’s bike. I’m able to clip in and out (wasn’t sure about out with the twisting) and ride pretty well.

I’m doing 30 minute low impact rides that focus on more moderate cadence and resistance but will get you into endurance heart rate levels.

It’s weird because it really doesn’t feel good working through bone and blunt force trauma but also weird to be able to ride normally within limits comfortably up to 80 rpm cadence.

Bike has me at 40% of max output, which is probably as good an assessment as I could get right now.

856B19D8-B248-46F1-A35C-50DA6A5D775F.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The surgeon who did the catheter says it will be a 6 way bypass. But until I meet with ths thurasic surgeon it is just a guess.
So sorry to hear this. I defer to @migdriver on the "prehab," but I have a few thoughts on other things to do before your surgery. I had open heart surgery for a new aortic valve eight months ago and, thankfully, am mostly recovered minus some fitness that will take a while.

You probably won't be able to drive for something like a month and won't be able to lift more than ten pounds for three months. Make Costco runs now! You don't want to cheat on this. There are many horror stories of folks who messed up their sternal healing and ended up fully disabled.

Visit the nearest cardiac rehabilitation facilities, as you'll be encouraged to pick one before you leave the hospital so they can send a referral. Insurance usually pays for 36 sessions, and it's very much worth your time to ensure a complete and safe recovery. If you don't do Uber/Lyft already, figure that out to get there.

I also tried to boost my immune system before the surgery by eating and sleeping well and minimizing stress (failed). There are lots of nasty bugs in the hospital.

You'll do great. It sucks, but being a dedicated skier means you are in way better shape than a typical patient!

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
11 days after my MCL sprain and I'm almost 100% recovered.

-I woke up today to my best day: a natural gait, normal walking speed, no feelings of weirdness, able to walk up and down stairs fluidly.

-I'm taking things slowly with returning to skiing, as I want to come back sometime later this month when there's less of a risk of re-injury. Continuing to spin on the bike and complete my full regimen of rehab exercises like wall slides.

-Feeling very thankful that this injury wasn't more serious.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Admin note: These posts were taken from the 21/22 injury report thread.
Now that we have a new season upon us, lets rally each other and keep those healing vibes coming

Detached retina surgery Wednesday will keep me on the sidelines until January. Two eyes are better than one. No skiing or reading about skiing or watching skiing until the gas bubble they leave in my eye dissolves. Dreaming about skiing is allowed I think.

I had the exact same thing!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FEF44616-4010-4CEA-BE62-41E3DD84ACC5.jpeg

Not in the sidelines yet, but this knee is talking a lot more loudly to me and is asking about an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 191979

Not in the sidelines yet, but this knee is talking a lot more loudly to me and is asking about an upgrade.
I'm not a doctor but that looks like something is floating around in there! And no space between femur and tibia. No bueno!

Sponsor