• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
That's a great idea. Every day I fret about this year's hike out. Last year was a close call but I made it. I have been walking a mile most days in preparation.
What are you guys talking about?

In an impulsive fit because I thought the sale was about to be over, I bought the 4-pack of tickets to Saddleback. I am definitely up for a trip there, although I'm only available week days.
Well the alleged Gathering is usually Fri, Sat, Sun, and often Monday.
If I had to bet, it would be at Killington.
Oh, also, just because a place “wins” the poll doesn’t mean it’ll be there. It’s just under advisement.
Cat herding is complicated.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They're talking about the walk out from first turns at K-town. The North Ridge Chair Pod opens sometimes in Oct. You take the Condi up, but there's no top-2-bot skiing yet, so you hike from the top of the condi to the top of the North Ridge Chair. K-ton conveniently built a set of stairs through the woods to make the walk more palpable to most folks. These stairs make the ones at Mansfield Lodge look like a Brooklyn stoop.

The Cat Track trail is nice if you yet the opp.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, also, just because a place “wins” the poll doesn’t mean it’ll be there. It’s just under advisement.
Cat herding is complicated.

You guys are just making a simple thing unnecessary complicated. :nono:

We know exactly where the next SkiTalk Taos mini-gathering is being held. And the one after that. And the one after that... :ogcool:
KISS - Keep It Simple St....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So sorry to interrupt this fabulous discussion of hiking at Stowe, but . . .

In an impulsive fit because I thought the sale was about to be over, I bought the 4-pack of tickets to Saddleback. I am definitely up for a trip there, although I'm only available week days.

When does the poll end and the decision get made? Or is the plan to discuss this throughout the summer and fall? ;)
The bad news is that the 2022 NEG will almost certainly be at Killington. The good news is that a trip to Saddleback during a good snow spell is sideways worth making.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The bad news is that the 2022 NEG will almost certainly be at Killington. The good news is that a trip to Saddleback during a good snow spell is sideways worth making.
It's only bad news for those of you that live in the Northern hinterlands. :duck:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's a great idea. Every day I fret about this year's hike out. Last year was a close call but I made it. I have been walking a mile most days in preparation.
I'm not worried about the hike unless it's icy. I just wanted to remind myself how long it is since it's been a few years since I did it. I've been hitting the gym regularly since the beginning of July. I don't like doing the fitness yo-yo throughout the year

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that a punishment or a reward?

To put some context around this. @A Grump and I raced down the the Great Green Dot To Hell at Killington When he was 15. From the top of the Skyeship gondola to Skyeship base. Nonstop. He skied on one ski (his right) and I was on two skis. He beat me to the base. :nono:

So it depends on how long he hangs on. Sometimes a quick death is the reward. :ogbiggrin:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
To put some context around this. @A Grump and I raced down the the Great Green Dot To Hell at Killington When he was 15. From the top of the Skyeship gondola to Skyeship base. Nonstop. He skied on one ski (his right) and I was on two skis. He beat me to the base. :nono:

So it depends on how long he hangs on. Sometimes a quick death is the reward. :ogbiggrin:
Both of my younger brothers were high level competitive bump skiers so I appreciate chasing an impossible standard and getting my ass kicked. I’d probably enjoy skiing with him.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Both of my younger brothers were high level competitive bump skiers so I appreciate chasing an impossible standard and getting my ass kicked. I’d probably enjoy skiing with him.

He is real smooth and powerful skier. No body part waving antics. A joy to ski with. Many here had experience skiing with him.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But does he buckle his boots up?
With the Grumps you just let them have the last word and smile. That's how it works.

Meanwhile the voting is surprisingly close.

Screenshot_20210926-114621_Chrome.jpg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I Said: "That's a great idea. Every day I fret about this year's hike out. Last year was a close call but I made it. I have been walking a mile most days in preparation"

This is about early opening at Killington where there is no lift access to the top of North Glade (North Ridge). Skiers have to walk down a catwalk with stairs too and then ride the quad to ski. As you know, what goes down must come up - wherein lies the problem. It's no big deal for most but after skiing the climb back is tough. I have had a bad year and my conditioning is dismal. But I plan to go! It takes away my doubts about my ability to still ski another season.

Killington puts its best foot forward. The employees are on their best behavior and lunch is provided free.

If you buy a Beast card which costs $80 for older folks the ticket is $25. Skiing is only available for card and pass holders.

There are a lot of skiers on limited space and the majority and most are pretty good. They ski fast.

I can't wait.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry didn't read this whole thread. Has a date been finalized for this event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor