• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 Ski Demo and Technique Description

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Thanks ogsmile

:roflmao::roflmao::ogbiggrin::beercheer: Thanks for watching

Yes, that's true that I'm doing that. The way I would describe it is that I'm rotating my spine into the turn. I do that especially in the first round of groomed shots of the "Three Ski Demo" video. I also do it in a shot or two in "Ski Music Video 2". You'll see me do that less, or perhaps not at all in some other shots, like in the "Skiing With Versatility Demo" that I just posted. I don't always do things the same way. In fact, in a future technique discussion video I'd like to talk more about how there is more than one way to do things. I don't agree that we all need to try to duplicate each other as in the Japanese technical competition style or whatever. But you are right. Last year I decided that I liked doing it that way. Maybe it doesn't look as good. I don't know. I liked how it looked at the time, and it seemed to work fine, to me:huh: I also do that in a few mogul shots on video, like the last mogul shot with a "2" in the corner of the "Three Ski Demo" video, and I think one or two shots in "Ski Music Video 2".

Is there a physical advantage/disadvantage in doing that for those types of turns?

Here's me with POV:

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Is there a physical advantage/disadvantage in doing that for those types of turns?
Not really. I think it's mostly about appearance. Maybe it can help you keep an even edge set on the groomed. It might help you create a 'laid-over' look. In the moguls, I just thought it looked cool.
Here's me with POV:
It looks like you know what to do. If you were on a slalom race ski you might want to send the tip into the bump first, before any amount of skid takes place.... but I think you know what to do. I more think that if anything is holding you back, it is your physicality. Here is my advice... Do the program on muscelnow .com That will grow your strength, quickness, and testosterone. Then experiment with ALL the supplements from MTS nutrition, and maybe SOME from Core Nutrttionals... these are supernutrients... then stand in static qi gong meditation postures. This will increase your life force and sexual energy... And know that 'super d' is a superhero that everyone loves. Keep experimenting until you find out what I mean. You can figure it out:thumb:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Not really. I think it's mostly about appearance. Maybe it can help you keep an even edge set on the groomed. It might help you create a 'laid-over' look. In the moguls, I just thought it looked cool.

It looks like you know what to do. If you were on a slalom race ski you might want to send the tip into the bump first, before any amount of skid takes place.... but I think you know what to do. I more think that if anything is holding you back, it is your physicality. Here is my advice... Do the program on muscelnow .com That will grow your strength, quickness, and testosterone. Then experiment with ALL the supplements from MTS nutrition, and maybe SOME from Core Nutrttionals... these are supernutrients... then stand in static qi gong meditation postures. This will increase your life force and sexual energy... And know that 'super d' is a superhero that everyone loves. Keep experimenting until you find out what I mean. You can figure it out:thumb:
The world couldn't handle it if there was an increase in my sexual energy.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Could be translated as mogul skiing requires equal parts physical strength, quickness, and balls. With which I agree, LOL. (Trying to work on all three.)

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Sanity, how are your hackysacking skills then? ...and/or soccerball juggling skills? If a skier of your caliber could do only say, 20 hits alternating feet, and you were to increase that number to 500, you could expect a BIG increase in your mogul skiing ability over the course of a few seasons.

Could be translated as mogul skiing requires equal parts physical strength, quickness, and balls. With which I agree, LOL. (Trying to work on all three.)
:thumb:ogsmile

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Sanity, how are your hackysacking skills then? ...and/or soccerball juggling skills? If a skier of your caliber could do only say, 20 hits alternating feet, and you were to increase that number to 500, you could expect a BIG increase in your mogul skiing ability over the course of a few seasons.

:thumb:ogsmile
I was pretty good back in the day. It had been decades since I had done it, then tried to get my son going with it to help his soccer. (He's got awesome speed, but weak ball handling.)

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very nice to watch. It's more a question of whether you are comfortable on this fairly high plateau or where do you think you want to go from here.

You go a lot by feel rather than prescription and that's controversial but a good feel is good to have at some point.

For instance, try this rhythm and offset on some blacks - maybe 1.5 or twice the rhythm for the offset on similar snow and a stiffer but same 15-16m ski? - I think you can already see some of the obvious differences in inputs and you'll figure out some of their value while playing with rhythm and offset:

P.s. I feel like I have posted this before... :huh:

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Very nice to watch. It's more a question of whether you are comfortable on this fairly high plateau or where do you think you want to go from here.

You go a lot by feel rather than prescription and that's controversial but a good feel is good to have at some point.

For instance, try this rhythm and offset on some blacks - maybe 1.5 or twice the rhythm for the offset on similar snow and a stiffer but same 15-16m ski? - I think you can already see some of the obvious differences in inputs and you'll figure out some of their value while playing with rhythm and offset:

The egos are hilarious.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Overall your versatility & ability to adapt your style to all conditions & terrain is admirable.
I really like the Sickle Couloir skiing, to my eye it is the most pleasing for me to view & is actually my favorite kind of skiing ogsmile
It is refreshing to see real skiers skiing & linking turns on mostly lift served terrain, Thanks!
3A4F5C64-2012-4C36-9D7B-C356EBAAA721.jpeg

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled

Given how quiet the thread is I feel the need to clarify my last snide comment. This site is ripe with ego, including mine, though some things are particularly ridiculous. Setting up oneself as Blake's master to help him through his plateau is preposterous. This hearkens back to the good old Epic days of Blake vs. Bushwacker. As entertaining and fantastic as that was, this ski off is even more lopsided. If I may use an analogy, maybe Flash is faster than Superman, maybe, but then there's laser eyes, super strength, x-ray vision... It's like Flash is within a microsecond as fast as Superman, and then tells Superman that he can get past his superhero plateau by allowing him to be his master. Though it may very well be that Blake can beat Flash in any measurable metric, but Blake's groomed run turns don't look exactly the way Flash thinks his own turns look or should look.

I know I gravitate towards bumps, and that's certainly Blake's strength, so my perspective is biased, but I think Blake is the best skier to post here, and I'm thrilled to have him wanting to post. Therefore, it's very disappointing to see repelling posts clearly driven by irrational ego. This is why we can't have nice things. How good it could be otherwise. Granted, I'd like to hear more than vitamins and meditation poses. Hackysack is intriguing, though I'm skeptical. Still, Blake's such a good skier, that I'd be willing to rehone my hackysack skills to see if it helps. I enjoy it, and it's something good to do with my kid, so nothing lost if it doesn't work, though I can't think of anyone else here I'd give that benefit of the doubt.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Blake is the best skier to post here
Well, he is certainly the best with a lot of footage. (The others in the same range don't post much, unfortunately.)
I'm thrilled to have him wanting to post
Me too. I know it takes a lot of work to turn good skiing into a good video.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry @Sanity , I did not mean to ruffle any feathers or de-pedestal anyone, far from me..:geek:. I see you have a history with Blake and some Bushmaster fellow from back in the Epic days, that's going way back even before my time - I thought you were new to this net keyboard-skiing gig of ours :ogcool:... I now remember we talked about Blake's skiing in a recent thread on self-improved skiers and I was impressed how far he got on his own (not sure what that says about us pros, heh), but likely made the same comment on his carving.

I thoroughly enjoyed those zipper lines and did not comment on his mogul skiing at all, like you said that is his strong side and I would totally enjoy seeing more of that, as well as his energetic carving, as well as his fresh perspective. He started this thread, in part, looking for someone that can advise some avenues for improvement, accompanied by nice video and this is what I did... quite a few of the pros here could help with his piste skiing, it does at no point mean were the masters of him or that his skiing of any kind is less that way above the average... he is completely free to ignore anyone's opinion, free or paid for - frankly, I've had to do a lot of ignoring... in both categories :geek:

But... drawing the conclusion that the skiing that I posted is just one microsecond better calls into ques... I don't think you have a comprehension of that type or level of skiing. I think he would though! It is years of hard work ahead... to be fair, Blake does show quite a bit of athleticism and talent, so he could surprise and impress me again on that - and I'm totally looking forward to being impressed, if he chooses to pursue any improvement in that direction.

And while I see now and understand your fear of him being "chased away" by a single seemingly critical post, after 2 pages of praise (although if you re-read my post, the compliments abound, somewhat uncharacteristically for my posting), I don't think you comprehend those of us that post under our real identities, using real video: fragile egos are the last thing we can generally be guilty of. And if his ego is as fragile as to be chased away by a small idea for improvement from a random guy on a forum, that he asked for, of an area of his skiing, that would surprise me. A lot! Ignoring my suggestion, by all means - that I expect there is a high probability of, I am sure he's done that before...

And on that note, to not invite any of this again, I won't comment on his skiing anymore. Maybe the way can get some of the truly awesome skiers and coaches here, to post here more than they do, the likes of Caston, Tom, Paul, JF etc is to ask posters to use their real identities and to look for less negativity in others pro's posts...? Having skin in the game, like some of us do, tends to truly keep the discussions "high level"...

Last edited:

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Sorry @Sanity , I did not mean to ruffle any feathers or de-pedestal anyone, far from me..:geek:. I see you have a history with Blake and some Bushmaster fellow from back in the Epic days, that's going way back even before my time - I thought you were new to this net keyboard-skiing gig of ours :ogcool:... I now remember we talked about Blake's skiing in a recent thread on self-improved skiers and I was impressed how far he got on his own (not sure what that says about us pros, heh), but likely made the same comment on his carving.

I thoroughly enjoyed those zipper lines and did not comment on his mogul skiing at all, like you said that is his strong side and I would totally enjoy seeing more of that, as well as his energetic carving, as well as his fresh perspective. He started this thread, in part, looking for someone that can advise some avenues for improvement, accompanied by nice video and this is what I did... quite a few of the pros here could help with his piste skiing, it does at no point mean were the masters of him or that his skiing of any kind is less that way above the average... he is completely free to ignore anyone's opinion, free or paid for - frankly, I've had to do a lot of ignoring... in both categories :geek:

But... drawing the conclusion that the skiing that I posted is just one microsecond better calls into ques... I don't think you have a comprehension of that type or level of skiing. I think he would though! It is years of hard work ahead... to be fair, Blake does show quite a bit of athleticism and talent, so he could surprise and impress me again on that - and I'm totally looking forward to being impressed, if he chooses to pursue any improvement in that direction.

And while I see now and understand your fear of him being "chased away" by a single seemingly critical post, after 2 pages of praise (although if you re-read my post, the compliments abound, somewhat uncharacteristically for my posting), I don't think you comprehend those of us that post under our real identities, using real video: fragile egos are the last thing we can generally be guilty of. And if his ego is as fragile as to be chased away by a small idea for improvement from a random guy on a forum, that he asked for, of an area of his skiing, that would surprise me. A lot! Ignoring my suggestion, by all means - that I expect there is a high probability of, I am sure he's done that before...

And on that note, to not invite any of this again, I won't comment on his skiing anymore. Maybe the way can get some of the truly awesome skiers and coaches here, to post here more than they do, the likes of Caston, Tom, Paul, JF etc is to ask posters to use their real identities and to look for less negativity in others pro's posts...? Having skin in the game, like some of us do, tends to truly keep the discussions "high level"...
You're right. It's silly of me to try to get people to behave better.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier

I didn't read your post as anything degrading. I think anyone that is really good at what they do would encourage constructive criticism, because these type of people always want to do better. I also don't believe in the idea that someone that isn't as good or athletic cannot give an opinion. How many coaches are or were as good as the athletes they coach? I don't know who can ski better than who, but I love reading all the posts, I learn a lot from them.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Blake actually says in his very first post that people can feel free to critique.
If you say something like, "I prefer to see a faster rhythm, and I believe a faster rhythm will do x, y, and z for your skiing." then that's a critique which is fine.

If you say something like, "Your skiing is stuck on a plateau, which I'm not stuck on." That's not cool, unless the boundaries of teacher and student are well established. There's not a whole lot of useful information there except to assert to the world that I'm a better skier. I don't think it should hurt anyone's feelings, but then the conversation becomes about who's a better skier which is generally unproductive, and the noise of ego drowns out useful conversation. Smart people not driven by conflict will go to find conversations someplace else. I'm not too smart and love conflict, so I'll be happy to stay and argue about how Blake's command of the ski goes beyond Razie's comprehension. If Razie did more than just one type of turn down an easy slope he would understand the full depth of Blake's superiority, and he wouldn't feel the need to tell the world that he's a better skier, because he would know he isn't.

Imagine for a minute that the most respected member of the forum posted video, and I tell them that they are on a plateau beneath me. How would people react? How would you react? I would get slammed until I ran away with my tail between my legs or got banned. So, your perspective of appropriate is entirely based on your perspective of hierarchy. That's maybe ok, when everyone sees the same hierarchy, but when people see different hierarchy it just creates conflict. So, keep the ego out of it. Keep the talk about MA. It shouldn't be hard to do, but it's not going to happen, so instead let's argue about who's better.

Sponsor

Staff online