• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
eBay - Olin Mark lV Comps in 180cm &
727’s With the good heels....

Today is 10/6/2021
Yep, that's as good as you can ask for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But not at $101.00 for a ski and binding over 35 years old.
and not $66 shipping. I'd like to have a nice pair of Comp IV w/727E in a 180, I'd pay the $100 but not plus the shipping costs.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
and not $66 shipping. I'd like to have a nice pair of Comp IV w/727E in a 180, I'd pay the $100 but not plus the shipping costs.
Especially since that S 727 looks like a pre DIN model. I couldn't get a good enough look at the setting window but if I remember correctly the round metal disk on the heel for the pole release was on the early models. But I am not a Salomon expert and not sure if I would ski one that old, it would really have to bench test on point.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Especially since that S 727 looks like a pre DIN model. I couldn't get a good enough look at the setting window but if I remember correctly the round metal disk on the heel for the pole release was on the early models. But I am not a Salomon expert and not sure if I would ski one that old, it would really have to bench test on point.
It's the worm screw 1-4 version. I have those on my TSRs. I'd not pay over $50 for retro but for some that is a grail.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe $50 if you didn't have to pay for shipping.
Shipping's going up again too. Walk in to UPS with a pair of skis and ask for their cheapest shipping option. I did that with a pair of poles in a golf club sized box awhile ago and it was like fifty dollars... I bet skis are more than that now unless you've got an account there with some volume discount..

Uncle-A

Skier
This auction has a Best Offer option :)
Also the bindings hole patterns would possibly match the Equipe model bindings too.
:)
They are the Equipe model pre DIN.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are the Equipe model pre DIN.
The metal heel continued forward to DIN. The regular 727 (black) went plastic and 3 hole pattern in the toe, I believe when they went DIN (someone might correct me on this)

Uncle-A

Skier
The metal heel continued forward to DIN. The regular 727 (black) went plastic and 3 hole pattern in the toe, I believe when they went DIN (someone might correct me on this)
That sounds good but didn't the round disk on the heel release change to a smaller square on the DIN heels? You must have some pictures with your Salomon collection.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That sounds good but didn't the round disk on the heel release change to a smaller square on the DIN heels? You must have some pictures with your Salomon collection.
Not on the Equipe. The regular 727 did.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm living in the past, but can't wait for snow in the future! Or ice, to show how good these old skis were!

About 1981 I got mark VI comp SL's. Had a small defect, I was in CT, and I brought them to the factory in Middletown. They said I could have anything I wanted. I got the same ski. He said to me "Our top racers are all on the GS version, SL or GS, we just change the top layer.". Being a confused high schooler, I just responded "I'm ok with what I had". The rest is even sillier, he offered me a tour of the factory... Great company!
IMG_20211126_160159898.jpg

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Amazing story! Great skis!
Imagine that, seeing the OLIN factory!
There were a lot of articles and testing to boast the difference between the COMP SL and GS. The top layer must have controlled that.
It’s amazing also to hear of the sales #’s OLIN had in the late 1970’s, they were making Millions!
On the first day I ever went skiing, it was at a small resort in Connecticut. I walked into the ski shop at the base lodge and there was a wall of black OLIN MARK l skis, with the small writing and American Flag stickers.
Today, almost 50 years later, including a pair of those original MARK l’s, my OLIN collection is up to 17 different pairs!
Btw:
Nice composition, your photo, classic stuff!

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm living in the past, but can't wait for snow in the future! Or ice, to show how good these old skis were!

About 1981 I got mark VI comp SL's. Had a small defect, I was in CT, and I brought them to the factory in Middletown. They said I could have anything I wanted. I got the same ski. He said to me "Our top racers are all on the GS version, SL or GS, we just change the top layer.". Being a confused high schooler, I just responded "I'm ok with what I had". The rest is even sillier, he offered me a tour of the factory... Great company!
View attachment 149500
They were great skis, but I have to think that the factory guy was "pulling your leg" sometimes when the guys get bored they would make up stuff just on a whim. I remember having people come in the shop and look at the white Hanson Citation boots and say that they are that boots that the storm troopers from Star Wars. Sometimes I just didn't have the heart to disagree with them.

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
I took my Olins Mark VI SL Comps out on the last run of the day. Newly mounted Atomic Z12 bindings. I had previously sharpened the edges with some honing stones and thought they we ok.

The run was awful. I;d been skiing all day on Blizzard Magnum 8.1, freshly tuned, and they were brilliant all day. Perfect in fact. The Olins were slow and unresponsive in comparison and I fell in a packed glade, just couldn't establish or keep the edge.

My question is, is it worth taking them to a tech? I remember these skis performing way better than they did and I don;t expect them to coompete with the blizzards but they were a very good ski in the day.
What gives?

Attachments

• 20220203_100424[1].jpg
    20220203_100424[1].jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 10

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My question is, is it worth taking them to a tech? I remember these skis performing way better than they did and I don;t expect them to coompete with the blizzards but they were a very good ski in the day.
No.
What gives?
40 plus years of technology. I have gotten back on skis from 10 years ago that I thought were the best thing ever back then only to think, "How did I ever like this dog?" :roflmao:

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
No.

40 plus years of technology. I have gotten back on skis from 10 years ago that I thought were the best thing ever back then only to think, "How did I ever like this dog?" :roflmao:
haha, well that's plain and direct isn't it? Just what I was thinking but don't want to admit.
Not even a fresh wax and a real, modern sharpening?

The amount of improvement since returning last year on these Blizzards is a testament to the current technology I suppose. I improved more in a few days than I did on a whole season on older skis. They really are just a nostalgia trip.

thanks

Sponsor

Staff online