• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. She wears a 24.5 boot. I wonder why there is so much delta in the Stage. Is there another binding you’d suggest? Like Nx11?
By going with the Look NX11, you will add a year of warranty to the Rossignol ski, so there is that.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Just had Fritschi Tecton 13s mounted but not sure if the shop (only one in town) has done a very good job. On their website Fritschi say there should be 3mm gap between boot sole and and the AFD. The gap on mine is huge! Can't see how to adjust this and can't find it on the web? Contacted the shop and they said you should do this adjustment with a foot in the boot? Don't think that's correct? Anyway anyone out there can help me?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just had Fritschi Tecton 13s mounted but not sure if the shop (only one in town) has done a very good job. On their website Fritschi say there should be 3mm gap between boot sole and and the AFD. The gap on mine is huge! Can't see how to adjust this and can't find it on the web? Contacted the shop and they said you should do this adjustment with a foot in the boot? Don't think that's correct? Anyway anyone out there can help me?
@Winks to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

There is no height adjustment on the Tecton, the AFD is built into the pins and slides in a channel. It depends on the boot but most of these touring bindings were built off of the true touring sole idea and not gripwalk, although a lot of them are MNC (multi norm compatible) gripwalk came later. The only way a lot of people adjusted height before on tech bindings was to build a shim but unless you do the heel as well you’ll be putting yourself in a toe high position which does not feel good while climbing.

If you don’t mind replying and posting a picture that will also help. As long as the shop mounted it to the correct position everything should be okay.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
There is no height adjustment on the Tecton, the AFD is built into the pins and slides in a channel. It depends on the boot but most of these touring bindings were built off of the true touring sole idea and not gripwalk, although a lot of them are MNC (multi norm compatible) gripwalk came later. The only way a lot of people adjusted height before on tech bindings was to build a shim but unless you do the heel as well you’ll be putting yourself in a toe high position which does not feel good while climbing.

If you don’t mind replying and posting a picture that will also help. As long as the shop mounted it to the correct position everything should be okay.
Thanks very much for your reply, will get a photo up later today. Quite worried that they have messed up the mount.

James

Out There
Instructor
On their website Fritschi say there should be 3mm gap between boot sole and and the AFD. The gap on mine is huge!
That’s a minimum of 3mm as I understand it. Adjustment is for the heel, a max of 1mm.

DF3CA9C7-B64A-48B8-BCEA-2F82EBCEEDEC.jpeg

94FE1F76-6157-46FE-9C8B-9EF497A1DEB7.jpeg

From here:

Heel:

Stacks

Stacks
Skier

That’s a minimum of 3mm as I understand it. Adjustment is for the heel, a max of 1mm.

View attachment 172222
View attachment 172221

From here:

Heel:

OK thanks, maybe I'm overstressing this? If it's a minimum of 3mm should be ok? Skied them without issue on Friday

James

Out There
Instructor
You need to ask yourself what determines the distance? It’s the pins, then the boot/sole determines the space.

There’s no adjustment to move anything up towards the sole like an alpine binding.

Does it pass the toe test of the boot can go 70 degrees of vertical skinning motion before releasing the pins?
See item #4-

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I have a pair of 2015/2016 Head iRally skis that I really like, but I need to see if I can replace the bindings. Both rear bindings (PRX12) lost the plastic part that you press down on to release the rear binding - both cracked on the same day, my guess was single-digit temperature may have had something to do with that.

So, I have a couple of questions:

Will the PRD12 bindings serve as a suitable replacement?

Whether PRD12 or PRX12, where can I find a pair of these bindings?

Thanks!

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
That’s okay, nothing to worry about, again the design was made before the idea of gripwalk so it’s just the way the binding was designed. Your heel appears to be firmly planted so as long as it’s properly adjusted it’s good to ski.
Phew, good to know. Thanks everyone for your help.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is a good video. If only there were on for the Attack instead of people ejecting and then coming here for help with the adjustments.

is the 3 cm clearance on the Fritschi designed to allow the pins to hinge freely?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of 2015/2016 Head iRally skis that I really like, but I need to see if I can replace the bindings. Both rear bindings (PRX12) lost the plastic part that you press down on to release the rear binding - both cracked on the same day, my guess was single-digit temperature may have had something to do with that.

So, I have a couple of questions:

Will the PRD12 bindings serve as a suitable replacement?

Whether PRD12 or PRX12, where can I find a pair of these bindings?

Thanks!
Replying to this post to bump it, so @Philpug and others see it, since it was moved from another thread and may be missed.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 172221

From here:

Heel:

I didn't go to the URL's, but judging from the math symbols >/ we need to send James to remedial Algebra class. Both math symbols in the above diagram are for "greater than or equal to". Clearly the toe and heel in the diagram are "tech" type where the pins carry the load. For this type of tech binding you want clearance under the boot sole so there is no friction from the boot sole involved in the release force. On the toe you need more clearance for rotating the boot its max number of degrees. In general more clearance is going to be better up to a point, hence both #'s are minimum clearance.

@Stacks, I am bothered by your picture of the heel piece. Tech or hybrid bindings such as Marker Kingpin have an overcenter clamp type heel, similar to an alpine binding. It looks like that is what your heel piece is, I can't really tell and I am not familiar with this binding. If it is the alpine overcenter clamp type, then you want 0 clearance between the pad and the boot and 0 between boot and the top arms of the heel piece that hold the boot down. If its a pin type engagement heel, then the 1 mm minimum clearance makes sense and you should set it up that way.

Hope that is some help

James

Out There
Instructor
I didn't go to the URL's, but judging from the math symbols >/ we need to send James to remedial Algebra class. Both math symbols in the above diagram are for "greater than or equal to". Clearly the toe and heel in the diagram are "tech" type where the pins carry the load. For this type of tech binding you want clearance under the boot sole so there is no friction from the boot sole involved in the release force. On the toe you need more clearance for rotating the boot its max number of degrees. In general more clearance is going to be better up to a point, hence both #'s are minimum clearance.
:huh: That’s what I said.
As to the heel, the base is >_ 1mm. The rear is maximum 1mm.

Toe and heel vertical clearance are determined by pins and boot. If it’s too little, you have to sand the boot sole down or use a different boot. There’s no vertical adjustment.

The heel fore/aft is adjustable and is 1mm max. That’s in the 1 minute video embedded up there^
44E139AA-6582-4675-92B6-3CC1FF7C4C8C.png

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have now called 3 shops and no one has the jig for mounting the Atomic Strive demo binding. Is this likely because it is new for '23? Is the jig for the demo Strive different than the regular Strive binding?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have now called 3 shops and no one has the jig for mounting the Atomic Strive demo binding. Is this likely because it is new for '23? Is the jig for the demo Strive different than the regular Strive binding?
I would think the jig for the demo is different, you may have to find a shop that uses that binding as their demo bindings.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Strive Demo uses the EasyTrack Template 6588701K

Sponsor