• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ibis: State of the State, or, this is getting out of hand

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Here are a couple of quick pics I took while doing an Evil build. FedEx air packaging inside the packaging. They must be taking no margin doing whatever it takes to fulfill orders. Also, retail parts packaging.
19BA8D7C-3048-4216-B505-6EA396D63816.jpeg
6B2BC624-C10C-4E65-8430-48C9D1FD0458.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup: scrambling to fulfill orders is the norm right now. That EVA AIR FedEx box is not shocking in the least.

Also: true New Englander there, Erik, given that Dunkin ice cup on the bench.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are a couple of quick pics I took while doing an Evil build. FedEx air packaging inside the packaging. They must be taking no margin doing whatever it takes to fulfill orders. Also, retail parts packaging. View attachment 137675

Very jealous.

I only have ONE Park magnetic dish.

Adding to birthday list immediately..... :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very jealous.

I only have ONE Park magnetic dish.

Adding to birthday list immediately..... :ogbiggrin:

Mag dishes come in different shapes and sizes. Some even have wheels. Great for working under cars.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, mostly what I am seeing here are Maxxis.

Maxxis is great for MTB but very so-so for gravel and ugh for road.

I've seen OK supply from Continental (road especially, but also MTB - gravel and city not so much), Specialized, Vittoria, and Panaracer.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. We've had little trouble getting their tires down here.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Rudi Riet this might sound weird, as last few years I'm on Maxxis and I really like them, but then again, except for one thing, those tires (Rekon, Rekon Race, Ikon and Aspen) are anything but so great. The only good thing with these tires is their construction. They are way less fragile then Schwalbe. They last even less then Schwalbe (I don't remember I would ever end up with no profile on tire in less then 4 months as I did on Rekon Race), but getting puncture really takes some effort. And sealant (any kind) works way better on Maxxis then on Schwalbe. Ok these are two good things not just one :)
All the really important (or should be really important) things are worse. They are heavier (100g at 600g is not so little difference) and grip is nowhere near Schwalbe. But currently, well not really currently as currently I'm on my 10 years old Lapierre HT with some 6 or 7 years old Schwalbes on :roflmao:, it feels that puncture protection feels more important then a bit less weight and bit better grip, as I'm happy on Maxxis and have no intention of going back to Schwalbe :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Rudi Riet this might sound weird, as last few years I'm on Maxxis and I really like them, but then again, except for one thing, those tires (Rekon, Rekon Race, Ikon and Aspen) are anything but so great. The only good thing with these tires is their construction. They are way less fragile then Schwalbe. They last even less then Schwalbe (I don't remember I would ever end up with no profile on tire in less then 4 months as I did on Rekon Race), but getting puncture really takes some effort. And sealant (any kind) works way better on Maxxis then on Schwalbe. Ok these are two good things not just one :)

Let me ask you about a possible two and a half - casing feel. As reflected in different initial steering feel, and in tire windup (esp. on steep loose sandy gravel sections)?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this post on Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare's facebook page.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@cantunamunch honestly I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about :roflmao:Honestly, maybe it's my english (as you know it's far from perfect) or maybe it's some mtb/bike stuff that you need to be more into this then just ride for fun to know what it's about, but steep loose sandy gravel section is only thing that makes sense to me. Everything else I honestly don't know what it should mean.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Update: Just checked in w/ LBS - Ibis' are on the way! I may not be in the first batch though, they truly do not know. Owner said his bank account gets drafted and that's how they know a batch is on the way - he!! of a way to run a business I quipped and he loled and said you know it brother :ogbiggrin: :rolleyes:

The good news is - they really are starting to come in and, in the meantime my other lbs happened to have a Hakka MX in stock (gravel bike, and a great one) so I snapped that right up and have been enjoying it, sold my road bike, which took a bit longer and for less money than I'd like as nobody seems to want a road bike these days. Usually it's N+1 to infinity but I'm literally out of space in the garage so, bye CAAD10.

I'll update when we finally hit NBD for the Ripmo. Oh and in the meantime - the Hakka was SRAM Rival Spec and I'm not in love w/ the Ibis logo hubs. High engagement on all my other bikes has spoiled me so I'm on the hunt for a 142x12mm 32H 6-bolt disc rear hub that can do high engagement/poe - something like a DT Swiss 350, or equiv. And, of course, the shortage is making that hard, so if anybody has anything laying around they would like to turn into some cash, lmk!!

Hakka NBD:
20210625_170637.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online