• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you had to replace your daily driver (automobile) right now, what would it be?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Since it is the internet, this would work. Coming to a course near you, if you live in Park City. :)

1639599217615.png

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
……my last Subaru will remain the last.

I absolutely resemble that remark and experience. The three last ones that we had in our family…..one, our daughter’s, were incredibly expensive to maintain once out of warranty. Shockingly so.

Not a popular comment around here, but sadly our experience.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I absolutely resemble that remark and experience. The three last ones that we had in our family…..one, our daughter’s, were incredibly expensive to maintain once out of warranty. Shockingly so.

Not a popular comment around here, but sadly our experience.
@Muleski and @newfydog

Please expand if you have time. The Ascent and Outlook made our list of future options for my wife. She drives a 2010 Touareg now with under 100k so we have plenty of time before we look seriously, but I want to stay sharp on the options, especially since we'd keep the car as long as possible. She also likes the Grand Cherokee L series, but the 2022 likely won't have Air Suspension, so it would not be until 2023 earliest if she went that route...However today if she had to replace, she'd probably look at the Subarus or buy a 2016 or 2017 Touareg again.

Thanks!

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
^^^ My 17 Outback has 165,000 on it without any repairs. Not even brakes. :) Still looks excellent outside and interior has worn especially well.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I am no interested in joining in a "discussion" on the merits of Subaru. One of the best cars that we have ever owned was a 2002 Outback H-6 VDC. It ran like a sewing machine. Sold it when the rear crossmember rusted form the inside out, and the rust extended from there. It was our daughter's car. very carefully maintained.

We subsequently had a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, a 2009 Outback XT, and a 2008 3.0R Outback Limited. So none of the current generation, or recent. My sister in law had a 2013 {I think} Outback 3.6. I can't comment on the recent cars, but ours we a LOT more needy than I would have ever expected. The most expensive was the XT.

Now, I realize that we may have just had abnormally bad luck. It happens. But, those kinds of experiences do jade you a bit. I bought each for fairly "cheap" transportation. At the time that we had LGT, we had a Land Cruiser and a S4 Avant.

^^^ My 17 Outback has 165,000 on it without any repairs. Not even brakes. :) Still looks excellent outside and interior has worn especially well.

Wow, that's remarkable. Awesome. To contrast that, I owned that LGT for 130K miles {bought new}. I think that I went through 4 sets of rotors and pads, and replaced the calipers twice. I'm 67, know how to drive pretty well, and tend to be light on the brakes. And the leather interior on my generation car was positively horrible. Much improved in the 2009 XT.

I will say they were incredible cars in crappy weather, snow, ice, etc. Always ran Hakka's on them.

Clearly many more people have great experiences than @newfydog or I had. My sister in law has one at their home in Steamboat. Last winter I borrowed it to run downtown and cracked up to see that EVERY single car parked In the Post Office parking lot was a Subie. And in Maine, where we ski, it's the unofficial State car. Clearly a lot of loyal and happy owners.

So, any of my input is clearly stale. Over and out on Subie talk.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I call BS on this one. No set of brakes can last 165K miles. Sorry, but this is just hard to believe (unless you are being facetious).

It's true. Deceiving people is not my thing. 41k miles per year avg of mostly highway driving.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I were to replace a daily driver right now that would be a Rivian RT1 electric pickup with a maxed-our battery pack capacity.
I saw one in the wild.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I were to replace a daily driver right now that would be a Rivian RT1 electric pickup with a maxed-our battery pack capacity.

I am far from an e-vehicle fan, but I love that thing.

But they'd have to stretch the bed 6 inches for it to fill the "truck" category in our quiver.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
At first I though that an EV vehicle would be cool. But man, thinking about it, this whole EV vehicle craze is not gonna end well. Lithium wars anyone?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
At first I though that an EV vehicle would be cool. But man, thinking about it, this whole EV vehicle craze is not gonna end well. Lithium wars anyone?

Meh, we already have non-lithium battery tech that is better than all Li variants for energy-per-unit volume density.

Lithium just needs to get us through the next 10 years of energy-per-unit weight criteria.

As Malthusian dooms go, peak lithium is not even in my top 20.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
cracked up to see that EVERY single car parked In the Post Office parking lot was a Subie. And in Maine, where we ski, it's the unofficial State car. Clearly a lot of loyal and happy owners.
Yeah, I might have been unlucky. In Bend I frequently see five or six in a row. A local songwriter has a tune "I love my Subaru...I know you love yours too" My gripe is partially with Subaru, partially with the local dealer. I asked them to look into transmission issues at every single service visit, was always told it was in my head. Just 3k after the warranty expired, it needed 2k in repairs. Soon after I sold the car, I got a recall notice for the well known issues in the transmission. It was a few years ago, but even if the cars are better, I won't deal with those people again.

I never thought I'd be back in an American brand again, but after I bought a nice used Grand Cherokee this summer, and rented the Compass recently, I am becoming a Jeep fan.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I never thought I'd be back in an American brand again, but after I bought a nice used Grand Cherokee this summer, and rented the Compass recently, I am becoming a Jeep fan.

We are sort of/sort of not Jeep fans. The big issue has been pricey brake work ; there is a litany of other woes.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Well, I swapped out the daily driver yesterday. Traded in the 06 Explorer XLT 4x4 with 160K on it for a 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum AWD. So many bells and whistles, I'm not sure if I'm a driver or an airline pilot now.

Sponsor

Staff online