• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange Shadow 120 MV

jrc22ski

Booting up
Skier
The Shadow provides more pressure on shovels of the skis which provides more feedback from them.

At first it’s a bit disconcerting and once you get used to it, you realize Lange is achieving what they set out to do.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I’m personally hoping we see a boa version of this boot next year. Def interested!

Very unlikely... it'd be a tremendous screw up to build all new molds and only make one production year's worth of product.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Listened to the recent Blister Gear 30 and Jonathan had an AK ski guide on with him...they were up there doing some skiing. He disagreed with this assessment about the Shadow LV. He spent a few minutes talking about how he popped his current ZipFit in and the new Shadow LV felt essentially the same as his RX LV from a fit standpoint. Obviously, this is one of those things each of us won't know until we try....so I guess we wait and see.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Listened to the recent Blister Gear 30 and Jonathan had an AK ski guide on with him...they were up there doing some skiing. He disagreed with this assessment about the Shadow LV. He spent a few minutes talking about how he popped his current ZipFit in and the new Shadow LV felt essentially the same as his RX LV from a fit standpoint. Obviously, this is one of those things each of us won't know until we try....so I guess we wait and see.
For me personally, I hope the fit is closer to the original RX mold than the one they tweaked starting in 2021. I'm definitely looking forward to trying them on in the store when they arrive in shops next Fall.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m personally hoping we see a boa version of this boot next year. Def interested!
Very unlikely... it'd be a tremendous screw up to build all new molds and only make one production year's worth of product.
Yeah, ain't happening next year or in the near future. Lange is very adamant that they will not integrate BOA into their boots.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First sighting of the new Lange Shadow available online ! Good ol Evo....I may pull the trigger so I can check them out at home and decide if I think they will be suitable upgrade from my RX's with the ZipFits. To clarify..its a pre-order so I don't know when they will be available and shipped.

Lange Shadow Ski boots

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
EVO data shows the both the 130 LV and 120 LV having the same 97mm last but the 130 having a 97mm forefoot width while the 120 has a 100mm forefoot width. Is this a typo or does the 120 have more room because of a thinner shell?

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EVO data shows the both the 130 LV and 120 LV having the same 97mm last but the 130 having a 97mm forefoot width while the 120 has a 100mm forefoot width. Is this a typo or does the 120 have more room because of a thinner shell?
That's a great question and I don't know. I think I'd try to confirm that if that's important to you.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't remember who told me this... might have been ONK or might have been one of the local boot fitters... Anyway, evidently as you size up on mondo the last also naturally increases. So its possible they listed two different mondo's? Just spit ballin here.

Whoa, guess I didn't notice before but Lange went and put GW on these soles. Interesting, given their heritage that seems a bit surprising.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both the 120 and 130 are available in 97 and 100 mm lasts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whoa, guess I didn't notice before but Lange went and put GW on these soles.
We are seeing Gripwalk as the sole for almost every non solid lug boot on the market. Gripwalk (ISO 23223) IS the new normal with DIN (ISO 5355) soles becoming the exception.
Interesting, given their heritage that seems a bit surprising.
? Remember too, Lange started with WTR, Walk To Ride, then switched to GW. There are battles to fight, Lange just feels this is not one of them.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Bought the 130 LV last night on EVO…should be here later this week. Will probably buy the MV once I see it in stock to compare and keep the one that fits best. I’m on my 2nd pair of ‘09 Freeride 130 so I’ll post up some impressions once I get time in them.

My bootfitter skied them last year and he was quite impressed, racing at their responsiveness.

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm looking to retire my beloved RX110 LVs this year and I'm pretty excited to try the Shadow. We'll see what my bootfitter recommends, but I'm a Lange devotee -- my only instance of brand loyalty in just about anything.

I'm still having difficulty getting my non-techie brain around the mechanics of how the new dual pivot and suspension blade actually work, but hopefully I'll find the boots ski so well that I won't care.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wound up buying 3 pairs of Shadow 130s (2 MV, 1 LV) and spent quite a bit of time (not on snow) in each. I've been skiing the older Lange Freeride 130 (on 2nd pair) from '08/'09 which is a 98mm last with a solid sole. I have an aggressive fit in the Freeride 130s and have had a lot of boot work done on my wide-ish foot mainly punches and a lot of grinding to make room for my big toe. Since I don't have an any time in many other boots I'll just point out the things which felt different.

Flex Feel - When you flex the boots you definitely get a different feel...it is as if your heel/foot is being sucked backwards. It is somewhat hard to describe but it feels great and like they may have something here. Flexing them in a warm basement I'm not even going to comment on stiffness.

Fit - The LV felt similar to my old boots, with just a hair more room in the toe. I had never been in a MV boot and once I spent time in it I realize I probably should have been in a MV all along. The MV I could actually wiggle my toes and while I'm sure I'll still need punches I actually feel like I could ski these right out of the box. I've got bigger calves, but once I removed the rear spoilers fit was excellent.

Look - IMO, looking at online photos these look pretty ugly (not that this matters at all to me) but I have to admit they look so much better in person with a nice dark blue color.

I was sold on the MV and planned on keeping the 26.5, however, I returned it for a few reasons. The main reason was that I found a deal on a pair of new '22 RS 130 MV boots and bought them. By comparison the RS130 is slightly tighter in the heel pocket and over instep. The sole length on the Shadows is 5mm shorter for a 26.5 (308 in my old boots and 303 in the Shadows) and given that I've got Look Pivots on all my free ride skis I didn't want to deal with adjusting or potentially remounting bindings. Gripwalk, I get that it is the standard now but none of my bindings are compatible and I didn't want to bother with swapping out the GW for DIN heel/toe blocks.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wound up buying 3 pairs of Shadow 130s (2 MV, 1 LV) and spent quite a bit of time (not on snow) in each. I've been skiing the older Lange Freeride 130 (on 2nd pair) from '08/'09 which is a 98mm last with a solid sole. I have an aggressive fit in the Freeride 130s and have had a lot of boot work done on my wide-ish foot mainly punches and a lot of grinding to make room for my big toe. Since I don't have an any time in many other boots I'll just point out the things which felt different.

Flex Feel - When you flex the boots you definitely get a different feel...it is as if your heel/foot is being sucked backwards. It is somewhat hard to describe but it feels great and like they may have something here. Flexing them in a warm basement I'm not even going to comment on stiffness.

Fit - The LV felt similar to my old boots, with just a hair more room in the toe. I had never been in a MV boot and once I spent time in it I realize I probably should have been in a MV all along. The MV I could actually wiggle my toes and while I'm sure I'll still need punches I actually feel like I could ski these right out of the box. I've got bigger calves, but once I removed the rear spoilers fit was excellent.

Look - IMO, looking at online photos these look pretty ugly (not that this matters at all to me) but I have to admit they look so much better in person with a nice dark blue color.

I was sold on the MV and planned on keeping the 26.5, however, I returned it for a few reasons. The main reason was that I found a deal on a pair of new '22 RS 130 MV boots and bought them. By comparison the RS130 is slightly tighter in the heel pocket and over instep. The sole length on the Shadows is 5mm shorter for a 26.5 (308 in my old boots and 303 in the Shadows) and given that I've got Look Pivots on all my free ride skis I didn't want to deal with adjusting or potentially remounting bindings. Gripwalk, I get that it is the standard now but none of my bindings are compatible and I didn't want to bother with swapping out the GW for DIN heel/toe blocks.
The BSL on the new ones will be 306 fyi.

I actually totally love the lange RX 120 or 130 MV which is perfect with minor cuff alignment right out of the box. It’s a problem a fair few years into the future but I’m slightly anxious that “my” boot won’t be around when it’s time to move the old ones on.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
A few pics of the 130 -
IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpeg
    IMG_3402.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 9

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The BSL on the new ones will be 306 fyi.

I actually totally love the lange RX 120 or 130 MV which is perfect with minor cuff alignment right out of the box. It’s a problem a fair few years into the future but I’m slightly anxious that “my” boot won’t be around when it’s time to move the old ones on.
Get a backup RX

Sponsor