• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need technique/advice for skiing canyon/cliff type mogul formations in steep terrain

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steep gullies are different. They often develop a single line, with bumps that go most of the way across. I've heard it described as "the swingset". You drop down, go across, and up the other side.
Fair enough. I do think the eventual turn shape you are looking for is similar. In a steep bump field, you'll just have more options to traverse a bump or two to shop for a smooth next turn.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about these bumps:

1677090861998.png

That's from the backside of Mary Jane, with steep bands probably similar to the steepness of the Vail and BC runs mentioned in the OP. Here's POV of me skiing that:

Since it's not crazy steep, I try to ski a more direct line, but with the irregular bumps, there isn't a good zipper line for more than a few turns. So you have to make some rounder turns, burn speed, and switch to the next good line you can find.

Finding lines on the fly is a fun and challenging skill to develop, but you can eliminate that variable if you ski the same run over and over and remember the best lines as you practice.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough. I do think the eventual turn shape you are looking for is similar. In a steep bump field, you'll just have more options to traverse a bump or two to shop for a smooth next turn.
Yeah, I agree gullies aren't all that different. One big difference is that "the line" is more obvious. The downside there aren't as many good alternate lines.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll take the challenge. :roflmao:

If anyone posts a video of themselves skiing bumps steeper than I'm skiing in this video, I'll buy you BBQ and a beer at A-basin! :ogbiggrin: I'll kindly ask @dbostedo to be the arbitrator of steepness (new title?).

That's the Lone Tree chute at Snowbasin. I think, maybe, those bumps are similar to what the OP has described? There are both POV and non-POV shots of me skiing the same chute.

I'm not saying that's the prettiest skiing, but I think I skied those very challenging conditions OK... except for the part where I clipped my tail on a rock and almost rag-dolled to the bottom. ;)

A few thoughts:
  • Notice how much more difficult and cliffy the bumps look in the POV video. There's a huge mental part to getting comfortable making that next turn.
  • All I'm thinking about while skiing those bumps is, "what's the easiest and smoothest way I can make a turn and bring my skis all the way around the hill to control my speed."
  • The bumps form very differently in steep terrain, as most skiers must bring their skis around or sideslip them. There isn't a zipper line. You need different tactics in your toolbox with rounder turn shapes.
  • The tough part is you must be comfortable and practiced in both a) skiing steep terrain and b) different and often funky bumps.
My suggestion: when you find a steep bump line that challenges you, go back and ski it repeatedly trying different tactics. Find turn shapes that work for you. More options should open up as you grow comfortable with the steepness after several runs.

Love the Gunsight and Eddies High Nowhere. Good job skiing it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a demo on nasty* bump skiing through Banana Gully at the Bird yesterday. Ask the gathering attendees present for details.

* There were lots of nasty bumps and some nasty skiing too.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....with the irregular bumps, there isn't a good zipper line for more than a few turns. So you have to make some rounder turns, burn speed, and switch to the next good line you can find.

Finding lines on the fly is a fun and challenging skill to develop, but you can eliminate that variable if you ski the same run over and over and remember the best lines as you practice.
Very nice bump skiing. I lenjoyed watching that video.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Logged a bunch of bump miles -- mostly soft-ish -- at Sun Valley this past week, resulting in some bump technique tune up.

Holiday, Exhibition, Rock Garden Upper River Run, Brick's Island, Fire Trail, I could go on. So good, so long!

For me, nothing works better than miles and miles and miles. :ogbiggrin:

IMG_3619.JPEG

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What are the most challenging runs in you experience in Taos?

"Challenging" is not one of word I like to include in my skiing vocabulary list. Unlike most, I am not an adrenaline junkie. The word conjures up the image of potential cluster where the death and dismemberment rider on one's insurance policy kicks in.
Want cheap thrills, go and huck off a random rock off the ridge. Survival is not guaranteed. Not my cup of tea.

When it comes to skiing terrains at Taos that I find interesting and entertaining. Werner area in the upper front. St. B off the ridge. Spencer into the gully on the lower front.
Want to make things more interesting? Do the runs nonstop.

Never been one to tick off runs on a list. Don't have anything to prove.

TS
W

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
Two photos from @dbostedo 's taos trip report:

Classic spiney bumps ... pretty easy to ski:
View attachment 193211

Ugly, chaotic bumps....
View attachment 193212
The bottom photo looks pretty close to the type of moguls I am referring to. Yes, Agree mileage is the best teacher. I know that the first 2 runs down a mogulled double diamond, I am cautious and hesitant until about the 3rd time down, before I felt semi confident and relaxed. The relaxation part, instead of tensing up, greatly improved my tactics and instincts. Also, multiple consecutive hop turns also help, but are tiring to do for more than 20 yards or so( I am old with old legs).

I believe I got the feedback I was looking for and a plan to develop better tactics on different type of mogul shapes

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Logged a bunch of bump miles -- mostly soft-ish -- at Sun Valley this past week, resulting in some bump technique tune up.

Holiday, Exhibition, Rock Garden Upper River Run, Brick's Island, Fire Trail, I could go on. So good, so long!

For me, nothing works better than miles and miles and miles. :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 194952
Or you get really good at doing it wrong! :ogbiggrin:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope. Unlike groomers, mileage works in bumps because the bumps tell you when you are doing it wrong.
Oh trust me I have skied 1000, s of bump runs....very little room for error.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
This doesn't answer the OP's questions but no bump thread is complete without a link to the best, free, how to ski moguls instruction on the internet:

From post 33 - he is skiing the slow line fast. I really enjoy that aspect of skiing bumps. This is the kind of skiing that I enjoy the most (you kow, except for powder).

He is demonstrating edging in a more subtle way. Great.

Sponsor

Staff online