• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
It seems to be a nationwide phenomenon. They're everywhere now.

Could be justification after a bad year of skiing thanks to Covid last season. The AR I bought was easy to justify after having a short season last year. I justirked a Deacon 72 Master I brought 1 month later with same thought process. Last year sucked so I get to spend more on skiIs this year… :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the waist increase really factor in for most here? It’s nominal either way. I’m more curious about how the rest of the construction changed if at all. It seems like both skis can fit the same role they did previously. My assumption is they will still feel great on edge but maybe a bit more versatility else where. Not sure that is a bad thing if they have the same on edge feeling.

Look at it from another perspective-how much more versatility do you expect 2 mm in the waist will add to the AX?

Nah, it is like $9.99 and not 10 but in reverse. As someone already said-just because some people cannot believe that AM ski could have 7something waist.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
And I think this is the first year (though I kind of missed last year) that Palisades Tahoe is demo-ing Stöcklis.
They were avail for demo last season also; but they increased their offering this season a touch. I've noticed more AR and AX models at AM this season though for sure....
Distribution has increased and it shows.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Look at it from another perspective-how much more versatility do you expect 2 mm in the waist will add to the AX?

Nah, it is like $9.99 and not 10 but in reverse. As someone already said-just because some people cannot believe that AM ski could have 7something waist.

At this point I would expect the rest of the construction to add more versatility than anything. I’m just saying I don’t expect those two skis would suddenly stop being great on piste - it’s hard to imagine they won’t stand up on edge great like they do in 2022.. So I’m sort of reserving judgement to see how did it all come together and what is the intent with the ski moving forward.

Last edited:

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
At this point I would expect the rest of the construction to add more versatility than anything. I’m just saying I don’t expect those two skis would suddenly stop being great on piste - it’s hard to imagine they won’t stand up on edge great like they do in 2022.. So I’m sort of reserving judgement to see how did it all come together and what is the intent with the ski moving forward.
I generally agree 100%. I'm not sure why they would drop the Laser portion of the brand and adopt a new name; nor am I sure I like it....wasn't that a Mitsubishi SUV model for many years?
At any rate, I look forward to reviews and more details of the AR/AX changes. I'm sure most will enjoy it - there is too large of a loyal following for them to rock the boat too much.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I generally agree 100%. I'm not sure why they would drop the Laser portion of the brand and adopt a new name; nor am I sure I like it....wasn't that a Mitsubishi SUV model for many years?
At any rate, I look forward to reviews and more details of the AR/AX changes. I'm sure most will enjoy it - there is too large of a loyal following for them to rock the boat too much.

Especially on the AX - even though I went AR and I know that has it’s own following these days as well. That said it’s hard to imagine Stöckli wanting to break that following. Just can’t imagine they would break the smooth, carving ability those skis are known for (short of being truce race skis). So if they made changes seems like it would be to add more on the other end of the scale.

Super curious to see the reviews though and more around what changed. I also feel guilty but I really want the new AR graphics (like the old but love the new)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Im not supposed to divulge much at this point in the year, but I will say I like Salomon’s new bindings you see in their pictures. I have skied it and approve.

Oops, meant in Armada’s pictures.
I agree, I skied it today, the new binding is very very good.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
To me, AX is always a perfect hybrid between the Laser line and the StormRider line. Now it has its own line with the AR makes logic sense to me.

Especially on the AX - even though I went AR and I know that has it’s own following these days as well. That said it’s hard to imagine Stöckli wanting to break that following. Just can’t imagine they would break the smooth, carving ability those skis are known for (short of being truce race skis). So if they made changes seems like it would be to add more on the other end of the scale.

Super curious to see the reviews though and more around what changed. I also feel guilty but I really want the new AR graphics (like the old but love the new)

nikonfme

Booting up
Skier
I was looking at my 2021/22 Stockli AX's this morning and comparing the binding mount to my older 16's AX both in a 175. The mount point on the newer model of the AX has the mount point set back by a couple inches. Any thoughts to this? I can post pics.
Thanks

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Assuming "back" means towards the tail, were both mounts set on Stockli's recommended boot center? If the older pair were mounted forward of the mark, then the difference is plausible since the second, newer mount just went back to the mark. If the older was on the mark and the newer are 2" back from the mark, I would be shocked and if I were you I would demand that whoever did the mount (assuming it wasn't you) explain the logic. Generally, Stocklis are mounted on the mark or up to 3 cms forward, depending on personal preference. I've never heard of any one preferring them further back than the factory mark

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be ... soon.

Please do. Judging by that pic of Armada bindings all of them now look like the STH sort of. Which is a very good thing.
I love the Wardens but I admit they could be better shaped-more streamlined, less boxy toe piece would be awesome.

nikonfme

Booting up
Skier
Assuming "back" means towards the tail, were both mounts set on Stöckli's recommended boot center? If the older pair were mounted forward of the mark, then the difference is plausible since the second, newer mount just went back to the mark. If the older was on the mark and the newer are 2" back from the mark, I would be shocked and if I were you I would demand that whoever did the mount (assuming it wasn't you) explain the logic. Generally, Stöcklis are mounted on the mark or up to 3 cms forward, depending on personal preference. I've never heard of any one preferring them further back than the factory mark
I will post when i get back from skiing. its the boot center mark that is set back quite a bit and yes towards the tail.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just flexed the new Montero AX and AR, still very Stöckli-esque.

Will you be able to play with any/both of them any time soon?

Guess we all here are super curious how the Montero are in comparison to the Lasers.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Just demoed the Laser GS (180cm) and WRT (172cm) - wow!

Found the WRT more demanding but more nimble, the GS faster (I was more confident at speed) but less precise. I’m 6’3” and will likely size up in whichever I choose.

Any thoughts as I decide between these two? Will be a dedicated frontside carving (duh) and occasional NASTAR ski. I like to ski fast and powerfully. I typically make longer turns but appreciated the nimbleness of the WRT.

I know the right answer is get both but in the meantime…

Sponsor

Staff online