• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Graphics are interesting... Added width, it's not really enough to drastically change where they would sit in a quiver. Any other details on other changes?
Will get on them next week. The questions I have is changing from Laser to Montero along with the widths is that changing the whole direction of the skis?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will get on them next week. The questions I have is changing from Laser to Montero along with the widths is that changing the whole direction of the skis?

Montero is kinda...meh...Mitsubishi...kinda generic...dunno. Bet the ski will be good tho...

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Here is a SoothSki report to compare the skis at various lengths.

The flex data is interesting:

View attachment 155632
View attachment 155633

The long Elans are significantly stiffer logitudinally (bending stiffness). The SR95 is one of those interesting skis that will hand flex more in the "medium" realm, but it has a good amount of torsional stiffness to hold the edge. Unfortunately the longer 2022 SR95 is not in the database. That would be the better comparison.

This is indeed quite interesting. Also, even at 175, the Stockli SR95 seems to have more camber length.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Im not supposed to divulge much at this point in the year, but I will say I like Salomon’s new bindings you see in their pictures. I have skied it and approve.

Oops, meant in Armada’s pictures.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Laser" is/was a great name for a line-up , and great brand recognition IMO for what that series delivers. Sounds like they're trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Volkl abandoning "RTM" was a head-scratcher for me too.

Perhaps the AX going to 80 wide will give it more All-Mountain Cred' for the uninitiated ( heavens forbid an All-Mountain ski can't start with a 7 ). Those of us in the know know just how versatile the AX is/was in 77/78. :thumb:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Laser" is/was a great name for a line-up , and great brand recognition IMO for what that series delivers. Sounds like they're trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Perhaps the AX going to 80 wide will give it more All-Mountain Cred' for the uninitiated ( heavens forbid an All-Mountain ski can't start with a 7 ). Those of us in the know know just how versatile the AX is/was in 77/78. :thumb:

TBF not many of us ever used Laser when referring to a model. It is usually just AX,AR,SC, WRT etc.
Also, as I understand it, they change only the AX and AR to Montero, not the entire Laser line. They just separate these two into another all-mountain/piste category.

So we will have Piste-Laser , AM/piste-Montero, AM/freeride-SR and Nela, Tour-Edge.

Yes, AX getting fatter is no bueno in my book but then again, the only two Stockli ski I truly care about presently-the SR95 and especially the WRT ST only got better, so I am fine. And there is that strange blend of WRT/SR named WRT Pro I am really curious about.

Having said that...man, why did they have to change something that was already perfect? I mean the AX of course...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw up to 10 pairs of Stocklis on locals at Elk today…..men and women. Over the years, kinda rare to see Stockli in NEPA/Elk. I wonder if Idyllwild Ski Shop picked them up?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw up to 10 pairs of Stöcklis on locals at Elk today…..men and women. Over the years, kinda rare to see Stöckli in NEPA/Elk. I wonder if Idyllwild Ski Shop picked them up?
It seems to be a nationwide phenomenon. They're everywhere now.

Reactions: BC.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even where I ski, just 2hr north of Toronto, I am seeing waaay more Stockli this season. I’m going to attribute that to Corbetts taking on Stockli this season.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
And I think this is the first year (though I kind of missed last year) that Palisades Tahoe is demo-ing Stocklis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The AX is so perfect but you no longer ski it.

I gave it away. To a young member of my family, so that they can teach him manners :ogbiggrin:

Replaced them with Deacon VWerks as bell-to-bell ski in 80-90 category.

But you are right, I did not ski them much last season either, just because I replaced one AX with two-SR and WRT ST.
AX is perfect as one ski quiver. There are better tools for ice/hardpack and better tools for soft snow.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So the are perfect unless you have more than one pair of skis

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the are perfect unless you have more than one pair of skis

Perfect as one ski quiver, all mountain/frontside ski.

Better?

I hope the Deacons will be just as perfect for this purpose but we will see.

Last edited:

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier

Does the waist increase really factor in for most here? It’s nominal either way. I’m more curious about how the rest of the construction changed if at all. It seems like both skis can fit the same role they did previously. My assumption is they will still feel great on edge but maybe a bit more versatility else where. Not sure that is a bad thing if they have the same on edge feeling.

Sponsor

Staff online