• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well...
Close race.
Damn, I was going to pick Holdener for third, but I thought she was kind of out of it this season. Plus that would’ve meant dumping Vhlova since I had to have an Austrian.
Look how much the spread goes up after top 4
Paula Moltzan 9th!
View attachment 120701
Holdener has been pretty darn consistent, but can't break through it seems... going back to Jan. 2020, she's finished 4th, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 3rd... must be frustrating to mostly be hanging just off the podiums (though she does have 2 in there).

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
SUI Women 3, 4, 5, 8 in 2nd run? Rast from Bib 57, and Melliard showing her speed again after a long comeback. Good stuff.

Glad to see Zoe get a WC start. Exposure to the top tier will hopefully motivate her and another level of speed appears. Time for her to mature emotionally for that to happen.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Glad to see Shiffrin get that win out of the way, bodes well for Worlds with a GS & SL under her belt. Also helps to have Vlhova seemingly fading.
Liensberger, l keep wanting to call her Leans-berger with her loud body & quiet feet, she is pushing hard & seems closer to a win every race. Nice work in front of the home crowd.
Holdener skied really strong both runs & is looking back in form.
Gisin also still looking stronger & faster than ever! Without the big mistake on the fall away roller in the first run the gap would’ve been much tighter. She was ripping up to that point & still super strong in run 2. Would luv to see her take the overall title.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Local, to me, Sara Rask and Elsa Fermbäck took their first WC points. One skier I have big hopes for unfortunatelly DNF:d in first, Hanna Aronsson, born 2002. Swiss girl Camille Rast showed great skiing, I remember having seen her before, somewhere, and now I wonder why we have not seen more of her? Perhaps injury? Good, solid prep that made for an exciting competition. Shiffrin ... impressive that she can go 95% and still win. Her SL is not as clean as it has been.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Local, to me, Sara Rask and Elsa Fermbäck took their first WC points. One skier I have big hopes for unfortunatelly DNF:d in first, Hanna Aronsson, born 2002. Swiss girl Camille Rast showed great skiing, I remember having seen her before, somewhere, and now I wonder why we have not seen more of her? Perhaps injury? Good, solid prep that made for an exciting competition. Shiffrin ... impressive that she can go 95% and still win. Her SL is not as clean as it has been.
Agree, MS's SL not close to where it "usually" is ... but still good enough to compete for wins. Got to think Vlhova is pretty worn down by now since she's skiing speed more consistently than before (I think she's started every WC race this season).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree, MS's SL not close to where it "usually" is ... but still good enough to compete for wins. Got to think Vlhova is pretty worn down by now since she's skiing speed more consistently than before (I think she's started every WC race this season).

She put too much on her plate.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, sad but following protocol. Not a normal season, this...

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, sad but following protocol. Not a normal season, this...

She says she is following protocol, but I would not know

“I have taken all the necessary precautions and diligently followed the COVID-19 protocols set by U.S. Ski & Snowboard and FIS [International Ski Federation] in order to stay safe, but unfortunately, between Flachau [a slalom on Tuesday] and Kranjska Gora, I’ve tested positive,”

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. Even being as strict as can be, when travel is involved there are going to be weak points. It seem that this is the likely cause.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, not sure whether the tests being used are antigen tests or PCR tests. Given the frequency and quick turnaround, I'm guessing the former which, as you say, has a lot of false positive results in the asymptomatic.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
CFFD0FD9-40A5-40FE-BD3C-03A8CF0C5644.jpeg

Shiffrin
Bassino
Brignone

Tough one to call with the likes of Robinson, Worley, Vlhova & Gut-Berhrami all starting in the first 10. This could be a tough course for the Women so experience, consistency & technique could play a huge roll. Anyone of these racers fit that bill or someone like Holdener or Brunner could hit their stride & pop in there.
:huh:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Camille Rast showed great skiing, I remember having seen her before, somewhere, and now I wonder why we have not seen more of her?
Same thought.

Sponsor