• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No commentary on my Peacock subscription, so didn't get to hear Vonn.

You have to be impressed by Gut's steadiness. As an early runner she was subject to the same surprise gate that caught Vlhova and Holdener, but she handled it with aplomb.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
BTW, I think Lindsay did a great job with commentary on the SG today.

100%

As a person who loves watching the races, but is not a racer, I thought her commentary was really good. It was nice to hear what was actually happening when racers made mistakes or lost time. I have a lot harder time seeing what's happening in speed races aside of course from the major mistakes.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
You have to be impressed by Gut's steadiness.
It has been a struggle for Gut-Berhrami to get her skiing back to where it is now over the past couple of seasons. Glad to finally see it happening! Add to that her experience and she is bound to keep contending in 3 events. GS is in her wheelhouse but with such a deep field there, it will be tough.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, I think Lindsay did a great job with commentary on the SG today.

Day two of her commentary was far better than day one. I'm sure for recently retired athletes - especially super successful ones like Vonn - it's tough to get out of the "it's all about me" school of commentary. Day one she was definitely more about the self comparisons. Day two she spread her analytical wings a bit more and the commentary improved as a result.

I hope she keeps it up. She'll develop a commentary voice that will be refreshing given how many male commentators there are on NBC Sports. I'd even have her calling the men's races every so often.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It has been a struggle for Gut-Berhrami to get her skiing back to where it is now over the past couple of seasons. Glad to finally see it happening! Add to that her experience and she is bound to keep contending in 3 events. GS is in her wheelhouse but with such a deep field there, it will be tough.

I wouldn't say GS is G-B's wheelhouse these days. SG is the sweet spot for her: not as many quick movements, thus easier on the back, but good for leveraging her technical prowess in the turns.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Day two of her commentary was far better than day one. I'm sure for recently retired athletes - especially super successful ones like Vonn - it's tough to get out of the "it's all about me" school of commentary. Day one she was definitely more about the self comparisons. Day two she spread her analytical wings a bit more and the commentary improved as a result.

I hope she keeps it up. She'll develop a commentary voice that will be refreshing given how many male commentators there are on NBC Sports. I'd even have her calling the men's races every so often.

I only heard her commentary for the Super G for broadcast aired 1/24. I think that was day 2? Was she worse on day 1? I didn't care for her commentary for most of the skiers. She seemed to dislike the way most of the women skied and was not hiding it. She had definite favorites - Ledecka, Goggia for instance. It sounded like she was upset she wasn't out there skiing. She seemed to turn upbeat and engaging when the topic returned to herself and her experiences skiing.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I only heard her commentary for the Super G for broadcast aired 1/24. I think that was day 2? Was she worse on day 1? I didn't care for her commentary for most of the skiers. She seemed to dislike the way most of the women skied and was not hiding it. She had definite favorites - Ledecka, Goggia for instance. It sounded like she was upset she wasn't out there skiing. She seemed to turn upbeat and engaging when the topic returned to herself and her experiences skiing.

Sure, Vonn has her favorites. She's good friends with Goggia (on the first day she tried to play a voice memo that Sofia left for her after her winning run - apparently these voice memos are a regular occurrence) and she knew of Ledecka's prowess even before her Olympic SG victory. But Lindsey is definitely less enamored of some of the current crop of skiers - mostly the ones who aren't "power skiers" (even though LV seems to consider herself a "finesse" skier, which she really wasn't).

I also wonder if the folks at NBC weren't trying to get her to sing her own praises. They certainly had enough "isn't LV great!" bumper pieces to use, and it also eases a recently retired athlete into the commentary game. Some are more natural at it than others. Porino majored in media and communications in college (post-retirement) and developed a TV broadcast style. Folks like Bode, Nyman, Weibrecht, and the like are all over the map in terms of their commentary abilities. Picabo has called a few races and was quite good. Koznick did racer interviews for a few years. Bode's had a few goes at it and each time he's a bit better, more polished (being a businessman doesn't hurt, either - you learn to close the deal via savvy selling abilities).

But right now NBC has leaned on tried-and-true folks for a while. Porino and Doug Lewis get a lot of airtime. You don't hear as much from Christin Cooper these days. AJ Kitt is occasionally heard, though not much over the past two seasons. And it's a grind doing live play-by-play of European events. Porino does his commentary from the Mountain Time Zone, so he's often calling races at 2:00am. Same thing with Lewis. That's a tough life.

At least LV was in the same building at Dan Hicks. It helps to be able to make eye contact with your fellow commentators, especially starting out. Hopefully she'll get more opportunities to evolve and develop a commentator "vibe." She doesn't need to do it - she's not hurting for things to do - but she would be a welcome addition to the alpine racing commentator crew.

If you want to hear a recently retired female racer who has become a great commentator, try to find some footage of Chemmy Alcott's work for EuroSport UK. She's rapidly evolved into a truly gifted commentator.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Don't get me wrong - I think they should give LV a chance and let her develop. It was nice to hear someone else talk. I just didn't really like her style. I look forward to hearing more of her and seeing where it goes.

My impression was that she had sort of a gut reaction to each skier and was too brief. It's fine if she doesn't like the way someone is skiing, but I'd rather hear a bit more elaboration as to why vs. just the emotional response I was picking up in her tone.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
My impression was that she had sort of a gut reaction to each skier and was too brief. It's fine if she doesn't like the way someone is skiing, but I'd rather hear a bit more elaboration as to why vs. just the emotional response I was picking up in her tone.
I thought she was telling it like it is & not sugar coating it when someone was off line or "sliding" (I call it skidding) their turns.
Whether or not she is a "natural" or seasoned announcer, it is nice to have someone who knows the racers, knows the courses & knows what it takes to win. Lindsey, Bode, Nyman all have that experience.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
GS Tomorrow (Tuesday)...
6A72F95F-7A39-41FC-BB12-5EBF00FDD625.jpeg

Bassino
Worley
Gut-Berhrami

Gisin
Vlhova

Maybe if I don’t pick Shiffrin she’ll win :huh:
Got a feeling Holdener is going to find some magic soon too.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bassino
Brignone
Worley
Shiffrin
Holdener
Vlhova

Cant bet against Gisin, either.

James

Out There
Instructor
Brignone
Bassino
Shiffrin

Vhlova
Gut

I think it’ll be a tight top 5.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
If Bassino wins this one can we start calling her “Miss GS”?

James

Out There
Instructor
5 in a row, I think.
Looks like she has 5 wins and 10 podiums in GS.
I suppose we could give her Miss GS 2021.
Tough to give her Miss GS with Shiffrin still active. (12wins, 25 podiums)
Vhlova-4wins, 8 podiums
Brignone- 7wins, 24 podiums

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Quick deterioration in 1st of surface that looked solid and tricky set became quite a challenge. Some who looked good (ok) on KG: steep hockey rink couldn’t handle this. I guess that’s the beauty of it.

Edit: 2:nd brutal surface in last pitch. Very demanding. Frama til the very end.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online