• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There was an AC controller switch issue in a limited number of bags produced 4-5 years ago. Some of the switches in this batch may fail as a result. The issue was identified and resolved after that batch, and hasn't been present in bags manufactured since that time. If someone has a bag that fails for this issue beyond the 2 year warranty period we will still address it for you. The fix takes about 10 minutes to complete. Kulkea may be reached for warranty claims and this issue via our our Adventure Warranty program. FYI - We also recommend you register purchases under the Adventure Warranty program so we may help you as quickly as possible if you ever have an issue with a Kulkea product. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please know that we truly do our best when designing and manufacturing products and we very much care about our products. We're in this business because we're skiers ourselves and want to bring skiers the best products possible. https://www.kulkea.com/adventure-warranty/.
I did file a warranty claim online. I love the bag ... but if it wasn't the switch it was something in the AC cord. It caused the circuit breaker to flip and it completely fried the electrical socket. There is no way that I will plug it in again and risk fire.
I have no problem with the DC cord in the car and that is what I have been using. We moved to Reno recently and have a 40 minute drive to the slopes so the DC cord works sufficiently for this purpose.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
So I don’t know if I am expecting something that no one else is or not but this has been my real use experience.

Boots - 2021/22 Mach1 130 LV
Liners - 2021/22 Atomic Professional MIMIC
Conditions - Anywhere from 24 to 34 degrees outside temp
Routine -
Get up plug bag in and set on high For approx 60 min
Warm up my truck 15 min before leaving
Move bag into truck plug into 12v and leave, 50 min drive to the slopes

When I get there the boots are kind of warm on the bottom 2 inches and Luke warm at best everywhere else.

the only way I can get into them is to put them under the floor vent on high for 5 min…

same experience with two different heating elements…..

Frustrating at best.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I don’t know if I am expecting something that no one else is or not but this has been my real use experience.

Routine -

When I get there the boots are kind of warm on the bottom 2 inches and Luke warm at best everywhere else.

the only way I can get into them is to put them under the floor vent on high for 5 min…

Frustrating at best.
That doesn't sound right. Reach out to Kulkea and see what they say.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Routine -

Frustrating at best.
Check to see the temp before you put them in the car. That’s how mine started to fail. They are replacing my heating unit. Right now the AC cord lights up but the elements don’t heat anymore. They do heat in the car on DC. I’m hitting the boots with a blow dryer - inside and outside - before I put them in the car on DC. Tgat’s doing the truck right now. The blow dryer warms the boots and the compartment and the DC cord gets the element warm enough to keep them that way. I couldn’t get my boots on otherwise.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor

Routine -

Frustrating at best.
Hi @Phatboy64 - we apologize for the inconvenience to you and are sorry you are having trouble with your heating element. Would you mind filling out our warranty claim form so we can get some more information on the issue you're having and can get it fixed for you ASAP! Thank you.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
Check to see the temp before you put them in the car. That’s how mine started to fail. They are replacing my heating unit. Right now the AC cord lights up but the elements don’t heat anymore. They do heat in the car on DC. I’m hitting the boots with a blow dryer - inside and outside - before I put them in the car on DC. Tgat’s doing the truck right now. The blow dryer warms the boots and the compartment and the DC cord gets the element warm enough to keep them that way. I couldn’t get my boots on otherwise.
Heading out in the morning. I will give that a try but I think you might be right in terms of it never getting past the low setting

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading out in the morning. I will give that a try but I think you might be right in terms of it never getting past the low setting
Actually, all three settings aim for the same temp over different periods of time. The AC cord is totally the one that fails. If you get the boots (and the compartment) good and hot, the DC cord will keep it there until you open it at the resort. That is what’s keeping me skiing while I wait for replacement heating elements to get here. I literally hit it with the blow dryer while the car heats up, run it out, plug it in … and then grab anything else I need!

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
So, I think you are right. It appears the heater element is never going any higher than low. So on low for 60 or 70 min doesn't seem like enough time to warm up the boots? Is that the issue?

Like I mentioned when I pull boots out of the bag the lower part of the boot (bottom 1.5"/2") is warm, the top half of the clog is kinda warm and the cuff really doesn't have much if anything.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^^^

As I read Pat's post, there is no low or high temp setting. It is short or long.
Correct. All three settings get to the same temp, just low takes longer. That's according to the tag that comes with the bag. When I'm in charge (HA!) L, M, and H will be just that. The other thing that would be nice is color coded cords. Black for 120, white for 12. Way easier to pull the correct cord out. Niggling little things but convenient.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I think you are right. It appears the heater element is never going any higher than low. So on low for 60 or 70 min doesn't seem like enough time to warm up the boots? Is that the issue?

Like I mentioned when I pull boots out of the bag the lower part of the boot (bottom 1.5"/2") is warm, the top half of the clog is kinda warm and the cuff really doesn't have much if anything.
Actually, you are correct. It’s the same thing I encountered when the first heating element failed. It means it’s not working correctly. One hour on high should be enough to heat it correctly. You could leave it plugged in longer but, since it’s malfunctioning, that is probably a bad idea.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update….I have contacted Kulkea several times over a couple different platforms,..and have been replied to twice (SkiTalk, email)….the responses I got was to fill out the Warranty Claim Form. I have replied to them that I need my account information to be able to fill out the Warranty Claim Form....but no response to my replies requesting my Kulkea account information.

The problem I am having is that I can’t fill out/complete/submit the Warranty Claim Form because it has required information on it.......that I can’t get because I need to get into my Kulkea account for the purchase date, invoice, etc..….lol.

I figure it will get resolved eventually.....but right now I’m kinda stuck.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
I spoke with support yesterday and just like my last interaction with them they were great! I have zero issues with their support and they stand behind their product.

@BC. A thought I have would be to fill out the warranty claim form and when it askes for a date you could estimate, and when it asks for a copy of your receipt you could use something like MS Word and write a note explaining that you need access to your account to get that info. You could then attach that. I think that would complete the required information to submit the claim. Just a thought…

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ what is the info you can’t find? Invoice? Purchase date? Try searching Kulkea in your email. That’s how I found old invoices and dates.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have zero point of comparison but I picked up the Rossignol Hero heated boot bag recently which seems to work fine. No regrets on the purchase!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update….I have contacted Kulkea several times over a couple different platforms,..and have been replied to twice (SkiTalk, email)….the responses I got was to fill out the Warranty Claim Form. I have replied to them that I need my account information to be able to fill out the Warranty Claim Form....but no response to my replies requesting my Kulkea account information.

The problem I am having is that I can’t fill out/complete/submit the Warranty Claim Form because it has required information on it.......that I can’t get because I need to get into my Kulkea account for the purchase date, invoice, etc..….lol.

I figure it will get resolved eventually.....but right now I’m kinda stuck.
I’m not sure if this was a Kulkea site but I purchased both of my bags from bestskibootbags.com which is now a dead link. I have emails coming from [email protected] from 9/2019.
I did not have a Kulkea account prior to purchasing a replacement heating pad so maybe you have an email from this site?

Reactions: BC.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not sure if this was a Kulkea site but I purchased both of my bags from bestskibootbags.com which is now a dead link. I have emails coming from [email protected] from 9/2019.
I did not have a Kulkea account prior to purchasing a replacement heating pad so maybe you have an email from this site?
Bestskibootbags is Kulkea's online store. I just tried it and it works. Maybe they were updating or something and it killed the link for a bit?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bestskibootbags is Kulkea's online store. I just tried it and it works. Maybe they were updating or something and it killed the link for a bit?
When I bought them I remember you couldn’t buy direct from Kulkea.com and that’s why I didn’t have an account with them until the heating pad last month. I thought that might help @BC locate the required info.
When I bought the second bag I had a total of five delivered and wasn’t surprised they responded quickly to my email and phone call to report the error :)

Sponsor

Staff online